Anaerobic pocket?

Elena82x

New Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
14
Location
Uk
Is this an anaerobic pocket? It is a new tank going through a (hopefully) mini cycle, the sand has only been down 10 days though I think one possibility is that an algae wafer has sunk here.. I've done huge water changes but haven't cleaned the sand yet as I want some bacteria to build up as the only bacteria source is an old filter added in as a second filter.
If it is an anaerobic pocket do I just remove it in as quick a movement as possible to prevent toxins releasing into the water?
Thank you
1664112562154.jpeg
 

AbbeysDad

Fish Gatherer
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
2,351
Location
Central New York, USA
Is this an anaerobic pocket? It is a new tank going through a (hopefully) mini cycle, the sand has only been down 10 days though I think one possibility is that an algae wafer has sunk here.. I've done huge water changes but haven't cleaned the sand yet as I want some bacteria to build up as the only bacteria source is an old filter added in as a second filter.
If it is an anaerobic pocket do I just remove it in as quick a movement as possible to prevent toxins releasing into the water?
Thank you View attachment 167509
It may be some decomposing organic matter but it's too close to the surface really to be anaerobic. I think you could stir it without any negative results or you could just leave it.
 

ChasingFish

New Member
Joined
Sep 25, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
47
Location
Council Bluffs, Iowa
As close as that is to the surface, I don't believe that could be the case. You usually only see that in quite deep substrate. What you probably have is just some regular algae or a disintegrating algae wafer as you suggested.
 

Byron

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month!
Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
19,152
Reaction score
11,048
Location
CA
I saw this only a couple times, and dug the water changer into it. Make sure you get most of the discoloured out, even if it means losing a tiny bit of the sand. I agree it is not likely trouble, just unsightly.
 
OP
OP
E

Elena82x

New Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
14
Location
Uk
It may be some decomposing organic matter but it's too close to the surface really to be anaerobic. I think you could stir it without any negative results or you could just leave it.
Thank you
 
OP
OP
E

Elena82x

New Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
14
Location
Uk
I saw this only a couple times, and dug the water changer into it. Make sure you get most of the discoloured out, even if it means losing a tiny bit of the sand. I agree it is not likely trouble, just unsightly.
Thank you
 
OP
OP
E

Elena82x

New Member
Joined
Aug 21, 2022
Messages
54
Reaction score
14
Location
Uk
As close as that is to the surface, I don't believe that could be the case. You usually only see that in quite deep substrate. What you probably have is just some regular algae or a disintegrating algae wafer as you suggested.
Thank you
 

AbbeysDad

Fish Gatherer
Joined
May 13, 2011
Messages
2,438
Reaction score
2,351
Location
Central New York, USA
I have sand and all my tanks except for the 110 gallon stock tank. I never touch the sand although in many tanks I have Malaysian trumpet snails. Sand is great because fish waste and uneven food just doesn't get down under. And unlike what some believe I believe you should never stir the sand. There will be levels of biology relative to the oxygen in the sand. It's best to leave it untouched. In this case because it's unsightly in the front glass, you might want to get rid of it. But that's a choice every fish keeper has to make on his own or her own.
 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Top