Anabas Testudineus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Phantom Thief

Population Control Volunteer
Reaction score
Interesting fish, this. I know its max size, and that's about all i know about it. Can anyone here give me more info on it?

Thanks

P.T.

The climbing perch is one of the toughest fish on the planet and can survive almost any conditions, they were one of the first tropical fish ever imported into Europe back in the early 1900s when trips to and from the far east were long journeys by sea.

Adults are territorial and aggressive and are best suited to a species tank, they will also attempt to leave the tank at any opertunity so a heavy tight fitting lid is needed, theyre not called climbing perch for nothing, in the wild specimins are often found hunting small frogs and lizards up in trees!!

i have no idea about keeping one, but i read where they were actually a side-show attraction during the Victorian age! apparently some travelling fairs would carry these fish around with them in tanks. at the show, they'd set up a plank between to things of water and throughout the evening, they would chase the climbing perch out of one bucket, across the bridge and into the other! :hyper: how crazy is that?

thus i conclude you can't kill these things with a brick. :somber:

They can be kept with other fish, but I reccomend nothing smaller than itself, they are quite aggressive to smaller fishes... very very hardy, will eat just about any frozen or live food, sometimes even flakes or pellets. As was said, keep the tank well covered, they jump. Also, if I remember correctly, I beleive that it was concluded that they were washed into trees as a result of floods, but they are jumpers none the less. ;)

Most reactions

trending

Back