An Odd Request - **UPDATED**

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rangus4

Reaction score
**Update**
Sorry I spaced this request off. I have attached a two more photos of the plant in hopes that you guys can identify it. This plant survives the winter in this tank. It is somewhat like a grass with a main stalk with smaller leaves branching off.

Hello fish lovers. I have an odd request for plant identification. I am a rancher in southeast Nebraska and on one of my pastures I have four 13 ft tire tanks to water my cattle. The tanks are filled using rural water so it is clean water to begin with. Three of my tanks grow algae and are somewhat green/murky looking but the fourth tank is crystal clear water year round. The only difference is that this fourth tank has some kind of plant growing in it (seems to be flourishing as well). It grows in a black muck/sludge that is around the outside of the tank bottom. If you could identify this plant I would love to plant it in the other tanks or maybe I should just try transplanting some of it? The tanks are not heated but do not freeze solid in the winter (only 6inch layer on top). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

20220519_081055.jpg

20220519_081058.jpg

20220515_154253.jpg
20220515_154239.jpg
View attachment 159553
20220515_154328.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to TFF

Get some closer pics, as close to the plant as you can, may help with ID

Okay good idea. I will pull a sample and get some pics in a day or two when I go back to check cattle.

We have been getting timely rains. Got winter feed put up. Pastures look great so far. Thanks for the cool summer comment but I doubt we will get one :p
Glad to hear that about the rain. We've done OK so far up here in south central Montana. The rivers and creeks are running high right now but snowpack is only so so. One week of 90 degrees and that will be gone. Guys up here were hurting last year for hay. Hope that turns around. No matter what anybody says Montana is an ag state and everybody needs those guys to do well.

I don't know the plant I'm afraid, but live plants do help improve water quality in many ways, and if you've not seen an ill-effects on the cattle using the "planted" water trough, then can't see any harm in pulling and transplanting some of the plant into the other troughs.

Interesting to see a post like this here though! Very cool. :)

Almost looks like jungle val...

It could be normal wild grass that the animals have transplanted via their drinking from their water supply

Seeding from the grass in the field, caught in the mouth when the cow chews the cud, they take a drink and the seeds drop into the water. There are quite a few grasses that can transplant from dry land to underwater....Chesapeake Bay and its rivers & tributaries has a few issues with it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back