Amphipod Found...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fortitudo

Reaction score
I found my clown fish throwing something between them and trying to eat it, at closer inspection it looked like a small shrimp, but this is through the tank glass.
So I fished it out and done some research and found it to be an Amphipod.
I guess it can't be causing any harm, and it answered my question why the clowns were hovering over a specific part of my LR like they could see something.
I am also guessing it's a good thing this is growing in my aquarium as they eat detritus and micro algae.
Also may explain why my Scarlet Hermit Crab has been plundering the LR holes as well!

I just want a confirmation of what it is and that it shouldn't be detrimental to my tank really, above is all educated guesses and research.

Here is a picture to help (sorry about quality, my camera phone focus isn't the best for pictures of small things!)

WP_000125.jpg

Most like the top left photo mate.
Yeah the best pic I could get, once you zoom with this camera on my phone on anything small it looses lots of focus!
I've done some reading up and they are harmless and will most likely be eaten by my clowns.

Lol I saw this and thought of the Spiral shelled squid thingy....How wrong was I :rolleyes:

I've got tons of them. My gramma loves hunting them. Even my teeeny tiny panda goby hunts them down. Good to have. :good:

Will be moving this over to the inverts section though.

L

There are a few hundred of these in my tank! Since the new years crash and restart, they are multiplying lol. I do not have any fish quite yet, but im sure when I get my pair of clowns and wrasse, the pods will be hiding =)

-Tyler

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back