amphibious creatures in tropical temp water?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

superman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I am looking to put amphibians in a tropical tank of mine. I don't want aquatic frogs, because most of them will never come out of the water onto land. Are there any that you can think of that I can put in this tank Bubble Tank
This tank is what I call a bubble tank, it has a little bubbler that bubbles up through the piece of wood that replenishes the air inside the air pocket that you can see (closest to you in the pic) which I built into this tank. I had newts in this tank before, but then I decided I wanted to put tropical fish in the tank as well, so I had to put the newts in another tank because they can't handle tropical water temps. I can't think of any amphibians that I can put in here!

Have you tried firebellied newts? They are from the tropics or if if wanted something to be semi aquatic. Terrapins, although these can grow after a few years. You would also need good filtration too. Can't have fish though as the turtles would chase the fish for food!

The Aquarium store I work at sells a variety of crabs, lobsters and craw fish. Most crabs need an enviornment with both water and dry land. They might be just what your looking for.

Dragonslair said:
Have you tried firebellied newts? They are from the tropics or if if wanted something to be semi aquatic. Terrapins, although these can grow after a few years. You would also need good filtration too. Can't have fish though as the turtles would chase the fish for food!
The maximum temp for fire bellies is 75, and the lowest my tanks go to is 77, they would eventually die. I know nothing about terrapins, so tell me about them!

Found this link with some terrapin info. Doesn't sound like they will fit your requirements :(

One of my LFS has Snake Necked Turtles, apparently they are happy with temps between 71 and 82 F - I found an information page on them here.

There is also an overview of common semi-aquatic turtles at this link.

You can also get semi-aquatic salamanders, but not sure of the temp. Best bet is to go to a search engine such as Google and do a search on 'semi-aquatic aquarium' and have a look at some of the links that come back. They may give you some useful ideas.

Hope this helps, Eddie

I have a wide paddle tailed red bellied newt in with my community tank, and have never had any conflict between them

Thomas A. Anderson said:
I have a wide paddle tailed red bellied newt in with my community tank, and have never had any conflict between them
They are very susceptable to disease at higher temps, the extra stress can manifest itself in causing bloat. Bloat is usually very hard to reverse and usually fatal. Happened to a friend of mine that had his tank heater up too high (77 degrees) The newts may be fine for a long time, but will eventually have a shorter life span because of higher temps.

In regards to the salamander idea, I haev done the research, and most salamanders are ok up to 75 degrees, I guess I will be checking out turtles!

I think that I may just totally rethink this idea and just go with some coldwater fish in this tank with some newts. Anyone have ideas on some cool oddballs that are coldwater? I am an oddball fish keeper!

I know that you asked about amphibians, but I saw in a later post someone suggested crabs. I have crabs in a brackish tank, there are several fish that like salt in there water such as sailfin mollies and bumblebee gobies. You can check out my link for red claw crab care. http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/crab.html

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back