Amount Of Light?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

garyspence84

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all... I have started a planted tank for my discus and was wondering how much time with the light on is a good amount of time? Its a 4ft tank with 2 x 30w bulbs. Currently, I am averaging about 7 or 8 hours a day, is this enough time?
G

No1 with any idea's? I'm just looking for some clarification of any kind or even any1 with some tips on good ways to care for my plants????

Please :huh:

whatever works for you IMO. I think most my tanks run at least 12 hours, but I am terribly inconsistent with my lighting lol.

Cheers dude's. I'v stuck the light on a timer, 8 and a half hours. Plants seem to be doing ok so i'll stick with that :good:

Cheers dude's. I'v stuck the light on a timer, 8 and a half hours. Plants seem to be doing ok so i'll stick with that :good:

:good: Just keep an eye on them and they will tell you what they need. Too long of a light cycle and they can look brittle and thin. Too short can cause algae blooms. This is usually dependant on the intensity of lighting as well. Lower light setups can sometimes have longer photoperiods without an issue. Also, what works for some, might not work for others, each system has different params.

:good: Just keep an eye on them and they will tell you what they need. Too long of a light cycle and they can look brittle and thin. Too short can cause algae blooms. This is usually dependant on the intensity of lighting as well. Lower light setups can sometimes have longer photoperiods without an issue. Also, what works for some, might not work for others, each system has different params.
Cheers dude, al keep an eye on it. So far all my plants seem to be doing pretty good. Just need to keep on top of trimming the odd brown bit off here and there.
I do have some Fern Leaves (think thats their name) that tend to flurish 1 min, then go quite thin the next and break up. Could this be caused by over lighting?

I do have some Fern Leaves (think thats their name) that tend to flurish 1 min, then go quite thin the next and break up. Could this be caused by over lighting?

Have a you got a pic? Might not be a true aquatic.

Have a you got a pic? Might not be a true aquatic.
Sorry I dont know how 2 :shout: I hate computers. The option isn't there to add pic. When figure it out i'l post it in the Plant ID part.

Personally, if you were at 7-8 hour photoperiod to start with, this may be due to some kind of nutrient deficiency. Once I get home I will PM you with how to post a picture. I think there might also be a pinned topic somewhere. Also, what is the total volume of your tank?

Personally, if you were at 7-8 hour photoperiod to start with, this may be due to some kind of nutrient deficiency. Once I get home I will PM you with how to post a picture. I think there might also be a pinned topic somewhere. Also, what is the total volume of your tank?
Its a 230 ltr tank. I'm hopefull my powerhead will arrive today, not that I even help but have read that most other folk that grow plants have 1 :huh: cheers again

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back