Amount Of Ferts With Lighting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hensonc4098

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi folks :)

Just wanted to pick some people's brains of the best amount of easycarbo and TPN+ to dose in the 35L. Currently I've been dosing 0.7ml per day of each and getting reasonable plant growth from everything except the helferi, and a bit of algae growth in the form of green on the glass and a little on the substrate and wood.

Lighting is by a 14W T8 over the 35L - think this works out about 1.5 wpg.

Thanks everyone ;)

Hi Claire

i think you can up, the TPN+ to 1ml per 20 L (you're dosing 1ml per 50L?).

I believe Green spot can be caused by low phospate so that may well help.

Hope that helps, till someone who knows what they're talking about turns up.
rolleyes.gif

Stu

totally agree with Stu.

If the tank is heavily planted then 1 mil of carbo as well. :good:

Cool, so 1.75ml TPN+ and 1ml of carbo? Sounds good. Just didn't want to throw more ferts in when there was the beginnings of some algae in case that was what was causing it.

Do you think the poor helferi is ferts related then? The leaves are just going paler and then almost melting off at the bottom. The rest of the plants (hairgrass, vallis, alternanthera, crypts and I THINK pogostemon erectus...) are all growing fine.

I'd do 2ml TPN+ and 1ml Carbon, does your tank have plenty of flow to the Helferi? It is a slow grower but upping your ferts should help, one day you'll see it with lots of tiny runners and think oh yeah! I have it in my 35 but I dose a little more, mainly due to the GSA on my rock but you should be fine with that.

EDIT: Steveo beat me :)

Just didn't want to throw more ferts in when there was the beginnings of some algae in case that was what was causing it.
Sounds right, but often the wrong thing to do - we know ferts don't cause algae so lowering (outright) them is always gonna be a bad choice - plants will suffer causing more algae

Do you think the poor helferi is ferts related then? The leaves are just going paler and then almost melting off at the bottom. The rest of the plants (hairgrass, vallis, alternanthera, crypts and I THINK pogostemon erectus...) are all growing fine.

It could well be, but ferts related could possibly mean there isn't enough flow to that particular plant - Just an option.

IMO

Had a look at the helferi just now and it is getting flow, just maybe not as much as the rest of the tank... For now though I'll try upping the ferts and see if it helps it at all :)

Helferi and other pogostemon have both melted away, helferi to nothing and the erectus only has the stems and a little bushy bit at the top left. On the other hand, the hairgrass is spreading already and the crypts are putting new leaves out regularly.
Haven't seen much growth out of the alternanthera though either to be honest. It's not dying, but not really growing either :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back