Ammonias and nitrites at 0 after only 2 weeks of cycling?

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Ummmm, am I just insanely lucky, or did I do this wrong. I tested ammonia and nitrites and it was 0 and 0? I triple checked to make sure i followed the instructions the right way on the test kit, and surprise surprise. It was the api liquid master test kit because I decided to get that instead of the 2 separate ones. I have only been cycling for 2 weeks?

If you are not using a proper ammonia source to start the cycle (you said your mother refused to allow you to buy or have ammonia), there will not be any ammonia or nitrites on tests

You need to aquire ammonia within the water to start the cycle process....either by adding ammonia or fish food that rots down thus producing ammonia

To put it simply.....if you do not add the ammonia needed to get the process started, you will not get ammonia on test cos you have not added it in the first place

By using rotting food and poop as your ammonia source, the ammonia will be produced as a trickle (and then also the nitrites), so won’t really register on tests. The proof that your cycle has started is rising nitrates.

Oh you are at it again, Obsessed

Slow down

As much as you wish it had, the cycle is not done after 2 weeks. Don't go getting ahead of yourself again cos that has landed you in the deep mud several times already

Patience needed

You'll unlikely to be adding anything swimmy much before the start of December if you are doing things correctly and keep yourself under control.

You'll find that the tests will give you a few false hope results tween starting the cycle process and finally getting to the end of it.....be patient cos the cycle is not going to happen overnight or in two weeks

Think of it as a great Christmas present to look forward to....being able to buy a handful of fish to start your aquarium stocking.

Oh you are at it again, Obsessed

Slow down

As much as you wish it had, the cycle is not done after 2 weeks. Don't go getting ahead of yourself again cos that has landed you in the deep mud several times already

Patience needed

You'll unlikely to be adding anything swimmy much before the start of December if you are doing things correctly and keep yourself under control.

You'll find that the tests will give you a few false hope results tween starting the cycle process and finally getting to the end of it.....be patient cos the cycle is not going to happen overnight or in two weeks

Think of it as a great Christmas present to look forward to....being able to buy a handful of fish to start your aquarium stocking.
Agree

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back