Ammonia

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BrittanyHarker

Reaction score
We have a fish tank that's been set up for 5 weeks, we went in yesterday to get new fish and the store said we need to get our ammonia under control before they would sell us new fish. After cleaning and a filter change we are between .5 and 1.0. Our tap water unfiltered tests right at .5, are these levels low enough to add more fish or do we need to use pellets to control it more?

No. Anything above zero ppm is toxic to fish and they will die. I don't know about US water standards but in the UK you would not get 0.5 ppm of ammonia in a mains water supply. I would check your test kit when testing your mains water as I'm sure it shouldn't read such a high level of ammonia; if you filled a bath you would probably smell it.

One thing in your favour though is that you have a hell of a local fish shop because most would sell you fish even if you had toilet water in your tank; stick with them.

How many gallons is your tank and what fish do you currently have in it? How did you clean it and what part of the filter did you change?

From what I'm googling, leveled 2.0 and under seem to be common in my area. Can I buy bottled water to out in the tank next time we clean it? We have a 20 gallon tank with 2 sword tails and a Mickey Mouse platy.

We cleaned the tank using the rock vacuum and refilling it with tap water with the drops the fish store sold us. Sorry for the lack of technical terms, total newbie here! For the filter, we just changed the little insert that goes in side the filter.

If the issue is ammonia in your source water, being tap water, you need to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia along with the basic of chlorine and chloramine.  Not all do handle ammonia, but it will say on the label.  Most of these work by changing toxic ammonia into non-toxic ammonium.  This is safe for fish, and the "change" does not reverse.

The nitrifying bacteria and any live plants will take up the ammonium same as ammonia.  There is no need for special ammonia removers.

If the ammonia is occurring within the aquarium, not in the source water, that is a very different thing.  But I assume from what has been posted so far that it is source water ammonia.  The tap water should also be tested (alone) for nitrite and nitrate, as either of these can be present depending upon the source of the water.  Nitrate for example is common in agricultural areas.

Byron.

Just a little note as well...i don't know if this applies to all test kits or strips...but in the api ammonia liquid test...it doesnt differentiate if it's ammonia or ammonium. It will test the same.

We cleaned the tank using the rock vacuum and refilling it with tap water with the drops the fish store sold us. Sorry for the lack of technical terms, total newbie here! For the filter, we just changed the little insert that goes in side the filter. 
Just a note for normal aquarium maintenance you should be monitoring Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, and PH at a minimum once per week.  To do that you will need a water test kit.  You probably have several choices at the fish store.  Also once per week you should remove and replace 50% of the tank water.  The water going into the tank should be conditioned with a water conditioner to at a minimum remove chlorine from the tap water.  However all of that is for a established aquarium.  Your aquarium is new and it may not yet have enough bacteria present to process the ammonia created from fish waist.  If you have ammonia present in the tank you should do an immediate water change of about 70% of the water  and then retest the aquarium the next day.  Remove any dead material from the aquarium immediately to avoid the generation of more ammonia.  
You will have to do frequent water changes and and test for ammonia and nitrite until your aquarium your water test shows no nitrite or ammonia.  Once ammonia and nitrite are at zero you can test and do the water changes once per week.

From what I'm googling, leveled 2.0 and under seem to be common in my area.
It would be highly unusual for your tap water to have Ammonia.  Some people do have nitrate in there water but I have never heard of anyone with ammonia or nitrite in the water.  Please note the different spelling of nitrite and nitrate.  Don't confuse them. They are different chemically and have different toxicity.  Ammonia is the most toxic, nitrate is the least toxic.  It sounds like you are assuming The ammonia is coming from your tap.  Don't assume anything test your tap water with an aquarium test kit.  Then also test your aquarium water with the same test kit.  

I suggest you read the following about the nitrogen cycle: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-first-fresh-water-tank/.

One thing in your favour though is that you have a hell of a local fish shop because most would sell you fish even if you had toilet water in your tank; stick with them.
Agreed.  Many fish stores frequently give bad advice and push sales instead of service.  That fish store probably gives out good advice. I would favor them over any other fish store.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back