Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Emmy104

Reaction score
I have a 5.5 gallon tank that is being cycled fish in. My current issue is this. I tested today for ammonia, and found the level at 2.0ppm. I did an emergency water change up to 75%. Then I tested the water again. It showed the ammonia levels at 1.0ppm. So while stressing myself out I did another 75% water change, hoping to bring it down a lot more. But I tested it again and found the levels at 1.0ppm again. I don't know what to do... I do not have a way to transfer them to a cycled tank and am trying my best. What can I do?!?!?!

Sincerely,
Stressed!

Why did you put them in an uncycled tank in the first place?
If you can, return them to the fish shop. If thats not possible...
For the time being, keep doing large (80%) water changes daily until you can get some mature (already cycled) filter media from a friend/fellow forum member (this link is a list of members willing to donate some media. JUst send them a message and you'll only have to pay the cost of postage):good:

I was not aware of fish less cycling when I purchased everything. Which is why my fish are in the tank. So I just keep doing an 80% daily until the cycle is complete? What about the current amount of ammonia causing stress in the tank currently? Is there anything that can be done for that? Or do I just need to do another water change tomorrow?

fish in cycling isnt the end of the world, but it deffinatly more work than fishless cycling heres a link to help you understand how to do fish in cycling http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/277264-beginners-resource-center/ you will need a liquid based test kit and lots of time and patience to cope with all the water changes involved

i found prime a godsend during my fish in cycle, it binds the ammonia to a less toxic form for a few hours untill you can change water again,

I have the API Master kit, and have been using it.

thats good :good: have a read of the link given, it should answer a few questions for you

I think it would be a better idea to return the fish and start again, now with a greater knowlege of a fishless cycle. The fish would also thank you for it. But in answer to your first question, yes, just an 80% change everyday :good:
(are you using dechlorinator?)

Yes I am using dechlorinator. I hadn't heard of Prime until now but will check it out.

Checked out the Prime and went and got some. Added it to the tank. Hope to see this help. :)

Have you checked your tap water to see if there's an ammonia reading from that? If your doing huge water changes and still getting the same reading for ammonia then that could be why. I was freiting over the same thing but it turned out that the ammonia reading was coming from the tap water I was using to fill the tank, and so really couldn't be avoided.

I was using a cheaper dechlorinater and I'm not sure it was working very well. I now use Seachem Prime and my Fish seem so much happier with it. I've had no more deaths or illness from anyone and I felt comfortable enough to start putting the bigger Fry into the main tank, and they're all doing very well too : )

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back