Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nick87

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all.

My seahorse tank has been sat with water and live rock for a few months now, i have been doing water changes just the same as if it were stocked.

Did a water test today (salifert kits) and it is showing 0.25 for ammonia?

I have been adding the occasional shrimp to the tank as a source of ammonia for the bacteria, do you think this could be the cause?

Other tests are fine, phosphate and nitrate are a little high but the tank will be heavily planted with macro so they should help export that.

I would get a second opinion just to rule out an issue with the test kit. Adding the shrimp could be the cause but I would be worried if the ammonia was detectable with no livestock in there.

What's the flow rate like in the tank? I know with a seahorse tank you have to be more careful with the flow but it could be there are dead spots which means the filtration isn't working as well as it should be.

I would get a second opinion just to rule out an issue with the test kit. Adding the shrimp could be the cause but I would be worried if the ammonia was detectable with no livestock in there.

What's the flow rate like in the tank? I know with a seahorse tank you have to be more careful with the flow but it could be there are dead spots which means the filtration isn't working as well as it should be.

Hey Barney.

I have had the water tested at my lfs, and also brought a new set of kits while there, both show the same readings.

I have around 3000lph (3 modified korallia nano's and a powehead for surface agitation, plus the return from my fuge), tank is 130ltr so over 20x at the moment.

Also the live rock is built up into pillars so water can flow all around it.

Are you mistaking the cloudiness of the test kit water for a ammonia reading maybe. This is a common issue on many forums and a problem the salifert kits have when adding the regent to saltwater

Are you mistaking the cloudiness of the test kit water for a ammonia reading maybe. This is a common issue on many forums and a problem the salifert kits have when adding the regent to saltwater

I think you might be right, the water does go clear after a while with a sediment type stuff at the bottom?

Also can anyone reconmend a liquid nitrate test kit, i have the salifert but don't like the powders.

I've been using API liquid test kits for years.. Only thing with the nitrate test is you have to follow the instruction exactly, including actually shaking the bottles and vials for a full two minutes. If done correctly, I find it to be fairly accurate although it does not measure low range nitrates. Scale goes 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 160 ppm.

I've been using API liquid test kits for years.. Only thing with the nitrate test is you have to follow the instruction exactly, including actually shaking the bottles and vials for a full two minutes. If done correctly, I find it to be fairly accurate although it does not measure low range nitrates. Scale goes 0, 5, 10, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 160 ppm.

Before moving to the salifert kits i have always used the api, i think i might pick up a nitrate kit tommorrow

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back