ammonia stuck

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seantheprawn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all

ive been cycling for about a week now, and for the past 5 days the ammonia has been on 1, and not changed, and for about the past 4 days the nitrie has been on 0.25, and hasnt changed, ive been adding plenty of fish flakes, but still the ammonia nor the nitrite has risen or even dropped.

i mean after a week shouldnt the ammonia and maybe the nitrite be progressivly rising.

and dont tell me to add pure ammonia, cant find it.

has anyone got any advice

o and also the tank is constantly murky, like i cant see the other end of the tank very clearly.

umm i was told to put fish in mine to get it goin dunno if u wanna do that im new to so maybe i have done it wrong

ok thanx for the reply,

but ive started a fishless cycle now, so id rather just finish it as one.

but thanx for the input anyway, greatly appreciated.

anyone else with ideas?

Maybe up the amount of flakes you're adding... maybe that'll jump start it. If not, and you can find it, get some Bio Spira. Here it costs $9-10 for enough to do a 30-gal tank. It makes the cycle very quick, though not instantly as the lfs says it will.
Good luck to you! I wish I had more help to offer!

ok ill try that, even though ive got tons of flakes already.

does the ammonia have to reach 5? or could u cycle it with ammonia at 1?

There is only so much that the flakes can do. If you add loads and loads, they will decompose, break down and just make the water dirty.

A fishless cycle does take a while - I know you have said a week, but it can take up to three or four.

Have patience, and take a bit of solace in that the ammonia and nitrite are up and that the nitrate will follow!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back