Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
why cnt you ship ammonia? (Just wondering)

I live in the USA and I get my ammonia from Piggly Wiggly. It WILL cause your pH to skyrocket, dont worry!
My walmart and BiLo anly have lemon scented ammonia... I guess every WM is different.

No need to go out and buy ammonia, just use your own!
I peed in my tank and it work a treat.

Tip: drink plenty of water first so it's not too yellow.

houndour said:
I had _real_ trouble finding ammonia and I got the name Kleen Off from this post, but B&Q and Homebase didn't have a clue. Finally I got it from Robert Dyas.
[snapback]696754[/snapback]​

Sam, delayed reaction but the Homebase ammonia is in the house wares section, with all the cleaning stuff. It costs something like £1.97 per bottle and is pure ammonia.

tuna said:

[snapback]803507[/snapback]​

Why take the risk of using the bathroom in your tanks for when it only cost $1.25 or less a bottle. You would take the chance of a smelly house and a lot of other things.

I don't know what risk there would be. Urine is mainly water, ammonia and a few other waste products common to most excretions of that sort. Of course you might get funny looks from friends or neighbors who see you doing it. :p

I am going crazy trying to find this stuff.
I've tried my closest Robert Dyas and 2 Homebases with no luck. I've phoned another couple, but it's like talking to a parrot.

Anyone know a particular shop in East or Central London that sells it?
Any online suppliers in the UK?
Perhaps someone could tell me the manufacturer, brand name, bar code & where it was purchased from a recent purchase - then I can at least ask for a specific product.

Cheers
Moon

Theoretically, this might not be such a bad idea. :unsure:

BUT - if you are taking medicines, specifically the contraceptive pill, you should be aware that some byproducts may be excreted in urine, some of them may be positively harmful to your tank's future occupants. There has also been much discussion about declining male fertility/potency as a result of hormones finding their way into the water supply - so I guess you might find that your fishy breeding programme might be affected ... :alien:

I am going crazy trying to find this stuff.
I've tried my closest Robert Dyas and 2 Homebases with no luck. I've phoned another couple, but it's like talking to a parrot.

Anyone know a particular shop in East or Central London that sells it?
Any online suppliers in the UK?
Perhaps someone could tell me the manufacturer, brand name, bar code & where it was purchased from a recent purchase - then I can at least ask for a specific product.

Cheers
Moon

We've just managed to buy some in Boots. It is just called 'Household Ammonia', it was about £1.75 for 500ml, and the ingredient listing says 'contains Ammonia solution, 9.5% w/w'. We have not used it yet, probably next week-end!

Hope this helps.
:thumbs:

Which section of boots was it in?

It was a very small branch of Boots, according to my better half. There was a section with half a dozen very basic cleaning items displayed, one of which was the ammonia. The bottle is white, cylindrical, with a printed white/blue label which bears an 'X' design, and a bright blue cap. Under the heading of 'Household Ammonia', it says 'household cleaner and laundry aid'. It is strictly no-frills packaging!

Perhaps I should buy some more, and put it on Ebay!

Good luck!

Getting ammonia is easy for fishless cycling check out this website,

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article14.html

He explains how to do fishless cycling and he also tells you how to get NH4Cl or Ammonium Chloride. If you dont want to follow the link, or if you want to compare prices, google "NH4Cl" and "cart" that will give you a whole slew of chemical companies that will sell you the ammonia you will need. And the best part of the whole ordeal is that you will not need to pee in your aquarium :D

Rez

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back