Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Sky042

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Please note that this is a very old thread and that some of the ammonia referred to in posts may not be available now.

With SOO many questions about where to find ammonia. I thought I'd help everyone out. If you're in the USA and possibly canada Wal-mart is where you want to go to get the ammonia
it'll cost you ~97 cents.
Since there also is LOTS of confusion on what sort of ammonia to buy I'm going to make it as easy as it gets

This is what you want
ammo.jpg

Ingredients "water, ammonium hydroxide, chelating agent"

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
For Those in the UK
This appears to be the brand of choice

Just water and ammonia 9.5%

kleenoff.jpg

good tips... another for the collection (uk only)

from Boots

boots_ammonia.jpg

also...does anyone know what i cant upload pics in this foeum? i have to hoast them on a site first?

In Florida you can also get clear ammonia at your local Publix grocery store, it will be store brand on the bottom shelf near the glass cleaner, and very cheap. Sorry i can't post a pic.

Sky042 said:
With SOO many questions about where to find ammonia. I thought I'd help everyone out. If you're in the USA and possibly canada Wal-mart is where you want to go to get the ammonia
it'll cost you ~97 cents. If you don't have a wal-mart near you I would even be willing to ship you a bottle if you pay for postage.

Since there also is LOTS of confusion on what sort of ammonia to buy I'm going to make it as easy as it gets

This is what you want
ammo.jpg

Ingredients "water, ammonium hydroxide, chelating agent"

Hope this helps.
please dont tell me your shipping this stuff to people u understand why people dont offer this online dont you....

In canada Safeway in the cleaning department bottom of pure deluted ammonia cheeper than walmart great for places that don't have a walmart near by but most towns of average size at least have a safeway.

I am getting dead links for all of the pictures in this topic. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and I found several cleaning solutions with ammonia in them, however all of them also had additives, such as scents and some coloring. Could someone (from the US) please say where they have recently gotten an ammonia source for fishless cycling.

I was able to answer my own question (Google knows all). It is possible that many other Wal-Marts have SeaMist ammonia cleaner, however mine did not. So another option that I have found was from Ace Hardware.

Pretty picture of the bottle

I don't know how long that link will live, but it was in the cleaning isle at my local Ace Hardware.

I will post back after I have finished cycling to say whether it worked well or not. By the way the solution is 10% ammonium hydroxide and does not seem to contain any other additives, outside of water of course.

I hope that this might help someone.

Hi,

I had _real_ trouble finding ammonia and I got the name Kleen Off from this post, but B&Q and Homebase didn't have a clue. Finally I got it from Robert Dyas.

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back