Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
For people in the US, ACE hardware sells unquestionably suiting ammonnia. They call it "Janitorial Strength Ammonia", and it is simply Ammonia and water in a 10% concentration.

It's true that you can only get it in gallon sizes, and that you'll wind up paying about 6 USD, but it doesn't have an iffy ingredient list.

The brand "Great Value" (Wal-mart's most prevalent, and sometimes only, brand of ammonia) contains surfactants, which we know is a bit iffy for the process...

I hope this helps!

(EDIT) Goodness... It has already been mentioned a few times. I need to read before I post ><

Toolstation sell ammonia without additives if you are in the UK , £2 ish for 500 ml ........

Could someone post a link to suitable ammonia on eBay please? I haven't got a clue what to buy

In Calgary, the real Canadian superstore, Walmart, co-op, Safeway and sobeys all sell ammonia always in with the cleaning stuff....

Scales, the problem with the house brand at Walmart, and maybe at some of those other stores, is that it contains a detergent. Surfactant is merely a fancy way of saying detergent, not something we want in a fish tank.

OldMan47 said:
Scales, the problem with the house brand at Walmart, and maybe at some of those other stores, is that it contains a detergent. Surfactant is merely a fancy way of saying detergent, not something we want in a fish tank.

I understand that not all ammonia is just ammonia, I will have a look round over the next couple of days check the ingredients and update accordingly.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find pure ammonia. I finally found some at a True Value hardware store.

In UK you can buy ammonia from Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=household+ammonia&sprefix=household+ammoni%2Caps%2C255

coolie said:
Here it is: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Concentrated-Aquarium-Ammonia-for-Fishless-Cycling-Fish-Tank-Use-High-Strength-/181130184497?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item2a2c334731

smile.png

Sorry - that's UK only.

Wow, not seen a product specifically marketed at us fishkeepers before. Watch out for the strength, anyone that buys this, the normal strength for household ammonia is 9½%, this stuff is 3½ times stronger. For a 65l tank, to dose up to 3ppm, you only need 0.5ml.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Waterlife Biomature is another product specially marketed for aquarists.  I've used it but not keen on the instructions.

For anyone in the UK just thought I would let you know you can get pure ammonia from The Range, 500ml @£1.00

I guess I will get some ammonia from ace then for cycling well maybe in a few years when I run out of pets to care for I will get a fish 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back