Ammonia Sources in the USA, UK &

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
so boots and homebase the best places to start looking in the UK?

can some one just check i got the right stuff, its jayes Kleen off, there no list of whats in it tho photo attached

IMG_0079.jpg

Hi Just an update, I have looked everywhere in upstate South Carolina, and all the stores, Walmart, Lowes, Ace Hardware, BiLo, Publix, Ingles, CVS, Walgreens etc all had surfactant in it. Quick note the one at lowes I bought not realizing surfactant was listed, shook all the bottles on the shelf (about 10 - I must have looked crazy to the other customers) but none of them foamed so I bought it and brought it home that is when I realized it had surfactant in it. Anyway long story short I finally found some at The Dollar Store 2 QT for a buck. It only lists ammonia and does not foam ... Brand is "Austin's Clear Ammonia". I looked it up online and other people have used it with sucess, just note that if you do use this brand it is only a 2-4% ammonia so you will need more to reach the desired ammonia levels in the tank. I will be using it for the first time, new tank arives in 3 days, can't wait :p. I will let you know how it goes.

i went to boots and homebase and loads of others and they said they have stopped selling it for security reasons they made them take it off the shlef due the fact its used to make home maded bombs

I've spent the best part of a week trying to find some ammonia for my first aquarium. Finally found some very hidden away in boots :)

Its only a local shop, but for those in Co.Durham - Maxwells DIY in Barnard Castle is where I get mine.

p.s its the "MAX" brand refered to on page 4

UK Ammonia Buyers

I found Jeyes Kleen Off Ammonia for £1.00 in my local cheap market place (Dolphin Market for anyone near Weston-super-Mare).

Here's the spec for it :

-------------------------------------------------
2. COMPOSITION / INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS

INGREDIENT NAME
Ammonium Hydroxide
9 – 10%
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
None

--------------------------------------------------
4.PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES

Appearance: Liquid
Odour: Pungent
pH: 11.6
Boiling Point/Range: 1390°C
Flash Point: N/A
Flammability: N/A
Explosive Properties: N/A
Oxidising Properties: N/A
Vapour Pressure: 115mm/Hg @ 20°C
Relative Density: N/A
Solubility: In Water
Partition Coefficient N/A
Specific Gravity: 0.958 – 0.960
Vapour Density: N/A
Evaporation Rate: N/A

You can contact Jeyes directly for more information... but I would say we're good to go!!

(I previously posted this in the wrong page).

I've been having problems finding Ammonia for ages, went into loads of Boots, big and small and none had any, I asked too and they said "We don't stock it any more", mmmm, "any more", strange. Homebase and other DIY places etc had none.

I went onto Boots website, they have it there for £1.75 for 500ml. Postage is £2.90 though.

BUT... if your local store doesn't have it, and you don't want to pay the postage, you can have it delivered to your local store for FREE!

Boots, B&Q, Homebase, Wickes, ASDA, Sainsburys, Tesco and Morrisons have all stopped selling it!!! :X They tell me its because they are now 'green' retailers!?!? I think the earlier comment about bombs is more likely!!
I eventually found some 9.5% ammonia solution at Toolstation, they are a national company and it seems the only place that are going to keep selling it!!

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/Consumables/Household+Ammonia+500ml/d20/sd2711/p96503

Kxx

Can confirm it is still available from Boots website. Delivered to your door (charge) or collect in store for free.

I just bought a gallon on McMaster.com for 5 bucks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back