Ammonia Levels

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jvis0606

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am in my 3rd week with a new tank and 4 platies. The ammonia level is not quite zero yet - it's not high, but not gone and I know that's bad for the fish. One is already a little sluggish and won't eat. How can I speed up the cycling process and get rid of the traces of ammonia? Thanks

How can I speed up the cycling process and get rid of the traces of ammonia?

You can't really do both at the same time, unless you add the bacteria you lack (say, by adding surfaces from a mature tank).

I'd recommend doing a water change or two to bring down the ammonia. It may slow down your cycle a bit, but probably not by much. Keep the fish alive and relatively healthy first.

edited for typos

A water change will make your fishy happy and add a bag of nitro-zorb to your filter to help absorb and eliminate ammonia..........

:thumbs: Extra charcoal in your filter can help as well as a power head on your undergravel filter should help speed up your cycle process I think. It delivers more oxygen rich oxygen to the bacteria. :thumbs:

The other thing you could do is buy one of those products which contain the nitrobactria, since you have ammonia they will have the food to live on and hopefully drop the levels that way. Also small daily waterchanges will help.

Hope this helps

David :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back