Ammonia levels won't go down- moving cycle along

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pebbles28

Reaction score
I just started a new tank (5.5 gallon that I've had for years) with a new betta about 3 weeks ago. I've had multiple tanks, 38 gallon, 55 gallon, and a few betta tanks in the past. About a week in, he wasn't acting right so I checked the ammonia and it was super high. Since then, I have been doing multiple water changes a day, trying to get the ammonia levels down as well as always vacuuming the gravel when I do a water change and I feel him very little twice a day, which he always eats everything I give him. I can get them down but then they go right back up. I am currently trying to seed the tank from with filter media from my established 38 gallon but I don't see any progress yet. I've been keeping the ammonia levels below .5 pretty easy with water changes but it hasn't moved to the nitrite stage in the nitrogen cycle yet. My PH is usually between 6.8 and 7, it doesn't really change much. Ammonia is at about .25ppm right now, nitrites at 0ppm, nitrates at 0ppm and temperature is at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. He was super pale, lethargic, and sitting on the bottom of the tank, since I've gotten the ammonia down, he seems much happier and has gotten all of his color back. I'm just not sure how to get the ammonia levels all the way down and move the nitrogen cycle along. I've tried ammonia detoxifiers but have been very careful and only using them as a last resort. I've never had this much trouble with a tank before. Can anyone help?

I'm afraid with a fish in its just a case of patience. daily water changes until the tank can take care of itself. Until that happens reduce feeding to 2-3 times per week. When you do feed do a water change about 4 hours later.

Try adding substrate from the established tank too.

I agree with @seangee and would also suggest getting a few fast growing floating plants that will help absorb the ammonia. Plants like anacharis, hornwort, and water sprite would help and improve the water quality. You can "plant" them in the gravel or just let them float, easy to care for because they absorb what they need from the water.

I agree with @seangee and would also suggest getting a few fast growing floating plants that will help absorb the ammonia. Plants like anacharis, hornwort, and water sprite would help and improve the water quality.
I could try that, only issue is I can't really leave the house right now to get things. Can you order them online? Or is it something I will have to go to my LFS for?

I could try that, only issue is I can't really leave the house right now to get things. Can you order them online? Or is it something I will have to go to my LFS for?
I buy mine from the LFS but there are listing for them on Ebay and Amazon. I have bought moss balls on line (Amazon) and it was good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back