Ammonia issues

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Have you done any water changes? Did you rinse the substrate? If that's all it is whatever doesn't eventually settle will gradually be removed during water changes.
Yep, did a large water change about 75% after the cycle as you all requested. The only time the substrate got rinsed was when I started it initially.

I have the Tetra Whisper Bio-Bags. They say to replace them every month.
This is incorrect.

In a newly cycling/cycled tank, you never want to change/replace the media that is in your filter...this will be the main area where you are trying to grow your BB (beneficial bacteria) colony...removing/replacing the filter media in a cycling tank removes the BB, and the process starts all over again.

Later, after the tank is cycled and mature, the BB will grow in other areas of the tank, but when cycling, it is crucial that you leave the media alone...if it gets very dirty, rinse it in old tank water, never in chlorinated water.

The filter companies tell you to change out the media because they want to sell you more (that you don't need)....they don't give a flip about your cycle.

This is incorrect.

In a newly cycling/cycled tank, you never want to change/replace the media that is in your filter...this will be the main area where you are trying to grow your BB (beneficial bacteria) colony...removing/replacing the filter media in a cycling tank removes the BB, and the process starts all over again.

Later, after the tank is cycled and mature, the BB will grow in other areas of the tank, but when cycling, it is crucial that you leave the media alone...if it gets very dirty, rinse it in old tank water, never in chlorinated water.

The filter companies tell you to change out the media because they want to sell you more (that you don't need)....they don't give a flip about your cycle.
Thanks! Hopefully I didn't screw up everything I gained.

I have a 28 gallon Tetra curve freshwater that consistently keeps the ammonia level between 5 and 1 no matter what i do or use. I've used Tetra Safe Plus; Topfin Ammonia Remover and Seacham Safe. I've changed 25% water. The tank is only about a month and a half old. It sat for 2 weeks after the initial filling before putting fish in. I started with 6 fish and it's down to 1. What else is there? TIA
Listen to Slaphappy! He knows things.

Quick question, should I be using the Tetra AquaSafe Plus and the API Stress Coat when adding new water and/or fish? Trying to keep from messing things up. The chemicals; thank goodness; are still good after installing the new filter previously.

Quick question, should I be using the Tetra AquaSafe Plus and the API Stress Coat when adding new water and/or fish? Trying to keep from messing things up. The chemicals; thank goodness; are still good after installing the new filter previously.
Ditch the stress coat, it could actually be harmful to fish.....when you run out of the AquaSafe, get either some Sechem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner, and use only that

Ditch the stress coat, it could actually be harmful to fish.....when you run out of the AquaSafe, get either some Sechem Prime, or API Tap Water conditioner, and use only that
Copy that! Thanks again.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back