Ammonia is not going down

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Shmeffrey23

Reaction score
Iā€™m new to the forum and I need your help and everyone has probably had to deal with this question. My ammonia levels are high and Iā€™ve tried everything, water changes 35-50% water changes daily adding api conditioner, feeding every other day or every 2 days. This has been going on for a week. The ammonia levels will not go down and Im out of ideas. How long would it take before seeing ammonia levels drop. I have a 50 gal and have had it for about a month and added fish but then I had my 2 angelfish die plus my rio negro pleco which was about an inch and a half die. Iā€™ve also checked my water that Iā€™m adding to the tank for ammonia and thatā€™s at 0. Currently in the tank is 3 gouramis 2 jumbo platys tire track eel which is about 4 inches 2 rainbow sharks and a rubber pleco which is 2 inches. Thanks in advance to any help

You need to cycling a tank to put ammonia to 0, You have to buy ā€œbacteria in the bottleā€ put them in a tank (5 ml per 10 Gal of water) the bacteria (nitrosomonas) will turn ammonia to nitrite then another bacteria (nitrobacter) will turn nitrite to nitrate and you will dont have to worry about ammonia you can do water change to put nitrate to 0. It will take about 1 month to cycling the whole tank. Good luck:)

Iā€™m new to the forum and I need your help and everyone has probably had to deal with this question. My ammonia levels are high and Iā€™ve tried everything, water changes 35-50% water changes daily adding api conditioner, feeding every other day or every 2 days. This has been going on for a week. The ammonia levels will not go down and Im out of ideas. How long would it take before seeing ammonia levels drop. I have a 50 gal and have had it for about a month and added fish but then I had my 2 angelfish die plus my rio negro pleco which was about an inch and a half die. Iā€™ve also checked my water that Iā€™m adding to the tank for ammonia and thatā€™s at 0. Currently in the tank is 3 gouramis 2 jumbo platys tire track eel which is about 4 inches 2 rainbow sharks and a rubber pleco which is 2 inches. Thanks in advance to any help
You should try gravel cleaning your tank everyday. Keep up the water changes, but do 75% every day and gravel clean your tank thoroughly as kicking up a lot of waste from the substrate can cause a spike in ammonia.

You should try gravel cleaning your tank everyday. Keep up the water changes, but do 75% every day and gravel clean your tank thoroughly as kicking up a lot of waste from the substrate can cause a spike in ammonia.
I have been sucking the gravel every time just because Iā€™m using my vacuum to get the water out of my tabk

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back