Ammonia in water supply

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Duncan

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought some fish today, black widow tetras and a pair of dwarf rainbow gouramies, whilst I was waiting for my switch card to go through, I noticed a sign about water treatment by the water athurotiy, they've done a test area adding ammonia to counter balance the cholirine, apparently it's killed off many fish and plants in tropical tanks. If my water contains ammonia how can I get rid of it. I did see an ammonia test kit up on a shelf but, I didn't have time to stay and look because of me kids wanting home and my wee darling fishes wanting out of the bag.

Duncan

At the moment I am using Ammonia Detox by Kent. Expensive but I reckon it's about the best. (I've tried a few!). The local Water Company is doing the same here before using full blown chloramine towards the end of the year. I'm going to build a water purifier myself as the bits are easy to obtain and being a miserly Scot I've found I can do it much cheaper myself. If you use an ammonia neutraliser you will still get positive readings on your test kit but don't worry it will be OK. :D Mac.

Get some AmQuel for you ammonia problems.  I don't know if you can get it over there but if not you can get it atDrs. Foster and Smith.  I also have a article written with JFK on AmQuel and NovAqua as well as the product sheets for both if you want to look at those as well.  Rose

thanks Mac and Rose,

next I'm shopping I'll get a test kit just to make sure I've no got problems.

Duncan

If you do have high ammonia levels, the other thing to do right off is a water change with RO water. That will help bring your levels down right away. Also, make sure you always have a good supply of fresh carbon on hand for your filters.
I overfilter like crazy, probably why I can be so lazy about water changes...

I still think the local water authorities should inform us of changes made to the water supply but as it stands for the moment they don't. If the amount of Ammonia is dangerously high surley if you suffer any losses you should be entitled to some form of compensation. We all put a lot of hard work into looking after our fish and if you've had the joy for a couple of years it isn't just annoying it's downright criminal. everyone knows people keep fish so to me they're being negligent in not keeping us informed.

Some info for you all that live in Scotland.
I just got of the phone earlier with the Water board. (the whole lot are now merged into one big water authority).
As Duncan and Macquatic know there is an increase in ammonia the water in there areas( Inverness-shire and Aberdeenshire) I wasn't given a reason for this but it's common practice to increase the level of Chloramines and THM's in the water after pipes etc have been broken to kill any harmful bacteria. Good for us but not for the fish. Anyway the hydrologist I ended up speaking to has said that there are no plans to increase the chloramines or THM Tricloromethanes in any other areas.
The chances are the THM levels have been increased because of the change in season or the like. It's been a while since I did any water chemistry on this sort of scale but if I remember correctly it's the breakdown of THM in the water supply that causes ammonia.
If you live in a high rise block of flats the water board takes no responsibility as although they supply the stuff it's stored in a feeder tank and the water usualy sits for a few days(unless the whole block is smelly and needs a bath) so any additives dissolve/dissapate. Like puting your water for a water change in a bucket and leaving it for 24 hours. So your supply should be fine unless the local council adds anything to the tank you need to get in touch with them for any info and the water board for direct mains water supply. Hears the contact number for Scottish water : 08081005333.
Finaly all you seasoned fishfreaks out there feel like a change of carreer try your local sewage works. The proccess involved in maintaining healthy water in a fish tank is exactly the same as these treatment works. and we could probably run the whole show.

Thanks adeyc

for the past 18 months we thought that we were on private water, discovered the other week that we're on mains water, I was given a small lecture by our fish stockest,45 minutes drive away, he gave me the low down of what's been happening. I need to study the books now.

Duncan

No Problems I wasn't sure how it would affect me so while I was on I did the general inquiery and happened to mention a sideline in freelance journalism and freinds haveing problems with their fish I got quite a few answers but not any of the specific amounts. thats up to the local/area people. there going to send me some of the bumf and stats so I'll post all the relevant stuff when I get it

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back