Amazonian Biotype

K.J.

LUK ITS A FUZBALL
Reaction score
(reposted from NTTH)

If my fish don't hurry up and get here (don't ask :angry: ) I've decided on making an amazonian biotype of the 55 g tank. First of all it isn't tall, so can I keep angelfish in it? If so, can I keep cories with it? What else would go good with the biotype (bearing in mind they have to live with angelfish) How many angelfish could I keep in there, with room for other fish?

It depends on how tall is not too tall. Taller is always beter with angels, if you have a minimum of 16" after you add your substrate it will be fine for standard fin angels, veils like a little more depth. Corys & angels get along fine, a smaller plec such as a bristlenose would work, and you may want to look into some of the smaller cichlids such as apistogrammas.

The tank is 20 inches without substrate, add about 2 inches for substrate... so it's fine? How many could I have in there? I'd like a shoal of 5 - 6 bigger corydoras or about 7 smaller corydoras depending on what. Also, would some butterfly rams work? Any tetras that the angelfish might not eat, such as maybe congo tetras?

sounds all good to me,

have sand with bog wood and plants with caves. then have 6 angelfish get a pair formed then return the 4. with 6 Congo tetras, maybe 8 corydoras and 1 or 2 bristlenoses!

thats would look awesome!

Yeah, sounds awesome! Would love to do that. Though, wouldn't the angelfish get aggresive to the tetras that invaded territory if they were a mated pair?

Yeah, sounds awesome! Would love to do that. Though, wouldn't the angelfish get aggresive to the tetras that invaded territory if they were a mated pair?

Normally from what I understand they shouldn't bother much, I've had Corydoras come into the territory and the female didn't leave the plant leaf she was cleaning off, instead she nudged the cory, and no chasing ever happend. Just make sure the shoaling fish are fast moving!

How does this sound?
2 paired angelfish (6 at first)
2 blue/butterfly rams
1 bristlenose
6 cories
5 tetras, such as rosies?

I kept 4 angelfish in a 5 footer with no problems. I even had one pair breed although the fry didn't last long after reaching the free swimming stage. I had them in with glowlights and black neons without any problems. The only fish the angels showed any agression to were the other angels. Every other fish was just shooed away with little real agression.

The setup sounds good.

WK

Other than my threadfin rainbows, my tank is pretty much an amazonian biotope and it's going very well. I got the guppies so that the fry will be a fresh food source for my angels, rams and BGK. I have one angel that's decided it likes to pick at the cories, but the cories have plenty of places to scamper away to and it's not a constant tormenting kind of thing. Right now, I have:
3 angels
2 Bolivian Rams (still trying to sex them)
8 cory cats - the more the better with these little guys, and they have a very light bioload
1 BGK
4 male guppies
8 female guppies

It's a bit overstocked, but I'm keeping up with frequent water changes and the angels and BGK are still small.

hi doubledee (nice to see another dons fan)
you do know that your Corydoras similis is from the amazon link

also to K.J. you do know that congo tetras arent from the amazon, they are from Africa so they won't really go in your amazonian biotype but good luck with it

hi doubledee (nice to see another dons fan)
you do know that your Corydoras similis is from the amazon

I figured that because they weren't on the list on mongabay of amazonian species that they must be from somewhere else. It looks like the Madeira River Basin is a tributary so I'll call it an Amazonian Community from now on!

PS. Stand Free!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back