Amazon sword semi transparent leaves. Will recover?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Murf.

Reaction score
My Amazon sword has some leaves that you can kind of see though.
I added root tabs for first time about 3 days ago.
Will those semi transparent leaves recover once they are that way or should I remove them?
Thanks

Could you send a photo?

If your amazon sword leaves are more round in form, then that is the immersed form leaves those types will not survive underwater, they will eventually die.

immersed growth are when the leaves of plants are grown outside of water and the roots are underwater. They are not fully submersed underwater

It is best to just cut the leaves that are dying. When you trim the dying leaves you will trigger your amazon sword to produce new leaves. This also happens when you trim leaves that are not dying also, they will still produce more leaves.

Most of the time the amazon sword dying leaves will not recover, if they do it will take months for them to recover. It is more easier to just trim the dying leaf so that it produces a new healthy one in a couple days instead of waiting months for 1 leaf to recover. They are really fast growing.

Trimming dying leaves also help amazon swords not waste so much energy trying to save a leaf that may not survive.

That is good that you added root tabs, they will really help your amazon sword!

Did you by chance bleach the plant? I bleach dipped an anubias and leaves turned clear and died.

My Amazon sword has some leaves that you can kind of see though.
I added root tabs for first time about 3 days ago.
Will those semi transparent leaves recover once they are that way or should I remove them?
Thanks
This has happened in my tank before with Amazon swords, I've read that it's a nutrient deficiency. The root tabs will definitely help with that.

This plant was bought in LFS and they got it locally sourced. Only 2 maybe 3 leaves are this way. One in the pic that is touching the "1" in 51 is one of them.
I Didn't realize they grow that fast so it sounds like I should just cut out the bad ones.
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_132805517.jpg
    IMG_20210129_132805517.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 36
This plant was bought in LFS and they got it locally sourced. Only 2 maybe 3 leaves are this way. One in the pic that is touching the "1" in 51 is one of them.
I Didn't realize they grow that fast so it sounds like I should just cut out the bad ones.
thanks

Looks like the plant you bought was grown immersed most of its leaves look immersed.

the immersed leaves will all eventually die off since they are not made to be submersed under water there made to be outside of water, you can leave them for now just cut off all the ones that start to die.

In couple days after cutting those amazon sword leaves, you will see some new shoots starting to develop in the middle of the plant

The submersed amazon sword leaves are more longer, pointy, and are not round like the immersed amazon sword leaves.

Submersed amazon sword leaves.
1611947987779.jpeg

What about the leaf under the word "Facility". See how the tip looks like a leaf skeleton. I cut that part out straight across to where the leaf looks good. So will it continue to grow now or will the whole thing die and I should just cut the whole thing out?
Thanks

What about the leaf under the word "Facility". See how the tip looks like a leaf skeleton. I cut that part out straight across to where the leaf looks good. So will it continue to grow now or will the whole thing die and I should just cut the whole thing out?
Thanks
For the most part if amazon sword leaves are ripped or cut they will not repair themselves, the leaf might not die but it will not change or regrow. if you check the photo that I sent there is a amazon sword leaf at the bottom that is cut it was there for around a month, since I wanted to see if it will regrow, and it never changed and never died.

It is best to just cut any amazon sword leaf you decide to cut all the way to its base where it is attached to the amazon sword plant.

It is more efficient to just trim any dying leaves or leaves that do not look good since if the dying leaves do repair itself it can take months for it to be fully repaired, sometimes they will never repair itself. But if you trimmed the leaf that was dying or did not look good, you could have 2-3 new healthy leaves within 2 weeks to replace the leaf you trimmed, grown by the Amazon Sword.

Also the amazon sword will be focussing too much on trying to repair the dying or leaves that are ripped or do not look good and might produce less new leaves.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back