amazon puffer tankmates/ food quantity

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

nighthawk723

Reaction score
Any one have a list of good tank mates for amazon puffers? I read that fast fish with shorter fins work well. I was thinking of a blood parrot but they are slow and derpy :)

Lastly how many snails/ worms/ crayfish would an adult eat per day? I started a snail/crayfish farm but I'm trying to figure out how much I actually need before the population explodes.

65 gallon tank low tech setup, sand substrate, about 40-50% live plants stocking.

Puffers should not be kept with anything because they either nip or eat the other inhabitants, or they get stressed out by their tank mates and poison the tank and everything dies.

Don't feed puffers on live food all the time because if you ever run out they go on a hunger strike. Feed them a variety or dead foods and some live snails.

Last edited:
I concur completely. Puffers are for single-species tanks.

Snails are a necessary part of their diet however, as this is how they keep their "beaks" sharpened.

I had Puffers several years ago, they killed my fiddler crab the 1st day in the tank. They are a fun fish to watch but they are very aggressive. I kept them in their own tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back