FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

noobgamers

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
hey im just asking for some advice on live plants
im renevating one of my old tanks and im doing a amazon biotope
the tank is a juwel korall 60 liter with the origonal filter, light 50w heater
for my stockings i want something allong the lines of 6 bronze cory 10 neon tetra and a bulldog pleco
(if the numbers are to much please say) my main problem is that i dont know any plants that are from
the amazon that would be suitable for such a tank i am welcome to any recommendations
P.S the watts per gallon is 1.333 ty for any help given

Hiya, I think bronze cories might be a bit too big for this size tank. Most people would like to see them in 20g+.
Some smaller cories that are more suitable are habrosus, hastatus, and pygmy.

Sorry I don't know anything really about plants :( Looking forward to seeing your tank when it's finished!

Sagittaria
One of the smaller amazon swords, like an ozelot
Several species of Myriophyllun are amazon, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which. The majority are australian.
Same as the Myriophyllum the Eleocharis genus, lots in the amazon, but I don't know exactly which species.

If you can find it Hydrocotyle leucocephala is very fast growing and a nitrate sponge.

I was about to add Cabomba aquatica to the list, but you don't really have enough light, and Cabomba furcata needs even more.

Ninjouzata said:
Hiya, I think bronze cories might be a bit too big for this size tank. Most people would like to see them in 20g+.
Some smaller cories that are more suitable are habrosus, hastatus, and pygmy.

Sorry I don't know anything really about plants
sad.png
Looking forward to seeing your tank when it's finished!
ty for the avice i definetely like the pygmy cories as i think they wont make the neons look so small i will publish pics when its finished

Zante said:
Sagittaria
One of the smaller amazon swords, like an ozelot
Several species of Myriophyllun are amazon, but I wouldn't be able to tell you which. The majority are australian.
Same as the Myriophyllum the Eleocharis genus, lots in the amazon, but I don't know exactly which species.

If you can find it Hydrocotyle leucocephala is very fast growing and a nitrate sponge.

I was about to add Cabomba aquatica to the list, but you don't really have enough light, and Cabomba furcata needs even more.
thank you your advice has made my life so much easier thanks i think the amazon swords would make the neons look really good and would definetely give them a nice place to hide if there feeling a little skittish

Might want to look at the thread in my sig...

Plants:

cabomba
Amazon swords
dwarf hairgrass
sagittaria

Alternanthera reineckii

Hemianthus micranthemoides

Ludwigia Peruensis, or Ludwigia glandulosa,

Ludwigia repens
Parrot Feather
Shinnersia rivularis

Potamogeton gayi:

Bacopa spp.

Consider panda corys. Females don't usually go over 2 inches and males are slightly smaller. You shouldn't have a problem housing up to 8 of them if the tank has a standard footprint (I.e. is not a tall tank)

I would agree about the Corys, Cory. aeneus does benefit from at least a 3 ft tank. [Edit: I advise against panda Corys in a tank that small, even though they do only get to 5ish cm long.]

Chaetostoma sp. (L402) (bulldog pleco) are also much too big for your tank as they reach 13 cm. Parotocinclus jumbo (pitbull pleco) would be a much better choice for a 60×30 cm foot print as they get only to 5 cm long.

I would also personally prefer a smaller shoaler than neon tetras because neons can get quite large: my biggest one was 4-5 cm SL (standard length, excluding tail), I have the exact number written down somewhere, at around 10 years old. Why not have a look at http://natureaquarium.co.uk/?page_id=278#sa ? I personally like your size tank and have come up with a list of species that go well in it.

Plant wise, Alternathera (probably too demanding), dwarf Echinodorus, Hedyotis salzmannii, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis/nova-zelandea, Proserpinaca palustris and Staurogyne. You would benefit from a kitchen foil reflector as well, if you don't have one already.

eaglesaquarium said:
Parrot Feater

Myriophyllum aquaticum is about to be banned from sale in the UK (and is already banned in parts of the US) because it's an invasive species. Best to avoid it. Limnophila sessiliflora is a good substitute that is native to Asia.

Thanks for that information.  I just recently bought it (and did notice its banned in parts of New England, but not in PA, where I live).  One of the reasons I bought it was because its such a prolific grower.  I figure that would guarantee me success with it.

I scratched it off my list.

Zante said:
Consider panda corys. Females don't usually go over 2 inches and males are slightly smaller. You shouldn't have a problem housing up to 8 of them if the tank has a standard footprint (I.e. is not a tall tank)
my tank foot print is 24 inch by 12 inch another person has advised against panda cories so i think ill go safe and go for pygmy

eaglesaquarium said:

Plants:

cabomba
Amazon swords
dwarf hairgrass
sagittaria

Alternanthera reineckii

Ludwigia repens
Parrot Feather
Shinnersia rivularis

Potamogeton gayi:

Bacopa spp.
ty for the list would definetely like a good variation in the tank although it is difficult with a smaller tank that has low light and low ph will consider all plants and will most likely use allot of them will post pictures when its done

P.S what substrate would yoiu recommend i was thinking of a fine 1-2 mm gravel (natural colours)with sand(silica) underneath

KittyKat said:
I would agree about the Corys, Cory. aeneus does benefit from at least a 3 ft tank. [Edit: I advise against panda Corys in a tank that small, even though they do only get to 5ish cm long.]

Chaetostoma sp. (L402) (bulldog pleco) are also much too big for your tank as they reach 13 cm. Parotocinclus jumbo (pitbull pleco) would be a much better choice for a 60×30 cm foot print as they get only to 5 cm long.

I would also personally prefer a smaller shoaler than neon tetras because neons can get quite large: my biggest one was 4-5 cm SL (standard length, excluding tail), I have the exact number written down somewhere, at around 10 years old. Why not have a look at natureaquarium.co.uk/?page_id=278#sa ? I personally like your size tank and have come up with a list of species that go well in it.

Plant wise, Alternathera (probably too demanding), dwarf Echinodorus, Hedyotis salzmannii, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Lilaeopsis brasiliensis/nova-zelandea, Proserpinaca palustris and Staurogyne. You would benefit from a kitchen foil reflector as well, if you don't have one already.

Parrot Feater

Myriophyllum aquaticum is about to be banned from sale in the UK (and is already banned in parts of the US) because it's an invasive species. Best to avoid it. Limnophila sessiliflora is a good substitute that is native to Asia.
what tetra would go well or should i simply cut down the shoal size of the neons

smaller tetras, like ember tetras would be a better option...

i think cutting down the shoal would be better since the neon tetra are going to be my centerpiece and ive had my heart set on them from the begining so maybe 8 neon tetra 6 pygmy cories and a pitbull pleco would be a better idea with a wide variation of plants i havent yet decided on the exact list but im working on it)

I think that's a good starting point, and if the tank takes them comfortably, you could up the numbers a bit later.

KittyKat said:
I think that's a good starting point, and if the tank takes them comfortably, you could up the numbers a bit later.
exactly what i was thinking
this is an in advance check it will be quite a while before i can get the tank going about 6 months until i can start doing it

Planning is always good! :)

eaglesaquarium said:

Plants:

cabomba
Amazon swords
dwarf hairgrass
sagittaria

Alternanthera reineckii

Ludwigia repens
Parrot Feather
Shinnersia rivularis

Potamogeton gayi: