Amanos with Heterandria Formosa? Yes/No?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I semi asked this question in someone elseā€™s Amano thread a few months back and got no answersā€¦ā€¦so here goes.
My 7 HFs (mosquito fish/least killifish/etc etc) ripped nine full size RCS to shreds overnight months ago so Iā€™ll not be trying that again. Iā€™d read theyā€™d hunt shrimplets but had read nothing about adults.
Does anyone know if Amanos being bigger would be safer?

I semi asked this question in someone elseā€™s Amano thread a few months back and got no answersā€¦ā€¦so here goes.
My 7 HFs (mosquito fish/least killifish/etc etc) ripped nine full size RCS to shreds overnight months ago so Iā€™ll not be trying that again. Iā€™d read theyā€™d hunt shrimplets but had read nothing about adults.
Does anyone know if Amanos being bigger would be safer?
Give that they were apparently so voracious with the RCS, I'd guess that no matter what size shrimp were in the tank, they'd go for it...antennae, eyes, legs, etc.. :(

I wouldn't be inclined to try it, although in my experience amanos are better survivors in general than any of the colored shrimps. They are definitely much bigger. One way to find out, I guess. If it doesn't work, call it live food.

Blimey when I read the title I kind of scoffed and thought of course they will be lol but on reflection I'm less confident.

I have 6 Amanos living with my 3 red eye puffers and they've never paid any attention to them at all. So I do think Amanos are a bit different to other shrimp in that respect.

Wills

Thing is tinternet reckons if thereā€™s a decent number of HFs they hunt shrimplets. No mention of full grown shrimp. Last time there were more fully grown RCS than HFs and they killed all but one.
Now Ive at least 18 HFs of various sizesā€¦..

The RCS that got away was perched on the top of the suction on thermometer about 5mm below the water surface in a tank corner. I didnā€™t realise it was there until I took the lid off to gravel clean the body partsā€¦ā€¦.I put the net into the water in front of it intending to catch shrimp and the thermometer but there was no need as it dove straight into the net. Get me out of here please was the general vibe. As far as Iā€™m aware heā€™s alive and well in the ā€œbigā€ tank still.

When I had the HFs in the community tank with guppies, medaka, WCMMs, RCS and Amanos there seemed no problem but that was probably because the activity of the other bigger fish kept them in line.
In a species tank I think theyā€™re a lot more confident and aggressive.

I suppose being known in the US locally as Mosquito Fish shouldā€™ve given me some sort of clue.

There is/was a poster on here from Bedfordshire who mentioned HFs in his/her signature. They were on here regularly but Iā€™ve not noticed them the last few months. Can anyone remember their forum ID please?
thanks

Theyā€™re known as Mosquito Fish in the SE states of the USA. So I suppose ANY insects gonna get it.
Most websites advise theyā€™ll hunt shrimplets but no mention of full grown shrimps of Armano or even RCS size. Iā€™m not gonna risk it. Well theyā€™d be risking it not me!

Most reactions

trending

Back