Amano Shrimp Vs white skirt tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CazRJ

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently added 4 Amano Shrimp to my tank. It's a planted up tank but it also has alot of rocks and shells scattered on the tank floor.

My question is my shrimp seems to be just hiding in amongst the rocks- which is fine if this is normal behaviour but I'm worried they are hiding from my 3 white skirt tetras (I did ask repeatedly would the shrimp be ok with these fish ?).

I can also only see 2 regularly as I know where they like to hang out, but the other 2 could be amongst other rocks. Also the tetra don't seem to be actively hunting them- 1 seems to hang out over the rocks but I don't think this is unusual.
The filter is set to its highest at the moment to help clear up some algae - could the water flow be too hard for them?

What size is your tank and what are the dimensions? Do you have any knowledge of the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH)? If so, listing them would be appreciated.

Amano shrimp are social animals, and should be in groups of at least 6. As well as this, tetras are schooling fish and should be in groups of 8 or more.

With schooling fish, when kept in smaller numbers it has been observed by many fishkeepers (including myself) that they can become withdrawn, shy and skittish. They can also become stressed out, which can ultimately lead to death in extreme cases if left unchecked.

White skirt tetras are regarded as being somewhat aggressive, since they're known to be fin-nippers (which isn't all too uncommon in larger tetras like these). After doing a little research on these fish, I've found from the experiences of other fishkeepers that white skirt tetras have been known to attack larger shrimp and other fish smaller than themselves.

As an extra note, sea shells can deteriorate and dissolve over time in freshwater, which can raise the pH and make it difficult to maintain the tank and keep it at a stable pH level. It may also upset your amano shrimp, as they prefer more acidic water than tetras do. Tetras do best in around 6.8-7.8 pH, whereas amano shrimp prefer a much lower pH of around 6.0-7.0.

Make sure that you always check that decor for your aquarium is safe for your fish, your type of aquarium (freshwater, saltwater, e.c.t.) and that it won't leach out any harmful chemicals, dyes or minerals.

Personally, I would increase the amount of amano shrimp to a minimum of 6 and rehome the tetras. I'd also remove the shells, though I know that isn't the point of this thread.

If your pH is on the lower, more acidic end, you could possibly get rasboras. These are similar to tetras, but tend to be a little smaller and tolerate a lower pH than most tetras will.

If your pH is higher and less acidic, you could try out a different type of tetra. Rummynose tetras are my personal favourite and they stand out very well in a planted aquarium.

Hope this is helpful.

Depends on the fish. I kept Amanos with Black Skirts, Bolivians and EBAs. Always out in the open scavenging, no problem. Now when I added Angels the Amanos disappeared, did not see them for months, thought they were eaten. Turns out they were hiding.
Here is a pic an Amano and EBA.

EBA and Amano.jpg

Good Luck!

Depends on the fish. I kept Amanos with Black Skirts, Bolivians and EBAs. Always out in the open scavenging, no problem. Now when I added Angels the Amanos disappeared, did not see them for months, thought they were eaten. Turns out they were hiding.
Here is a pic an Amano and EBA.

View attachment 137170

Good Luck!
Yeh I'm worried their just hiding ☹️ did they get used to the Angels or did they continue to hide?

What size is your tank and what are the dimensions? Do you have any knowledge of the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH)? If so, listing them would be appreciated.

Amano shrimp are social animals, and should be in groups of at least 6. As well as this, tetras are schooling fish and should be in groups of 8 or more.

With schooling fish, when kept in smaller numbers it has been observed by many fishkeepers (including myself) that they can become withdrawn, shy and skittish. They can also become stressed out, which can ultimately lead to death in extreme cases if left unchecked.

White skirt tetras are regarded as being somewhat aggressive, since they're known to be fin-nippers (which isn't all too uncommon in larger tetras like these). After doing a little research on these fish, I've found from the experiences of other fishkeepers that white skirt tetras have been known to attack larger shrimp and other fish smaller than themselves.

As an extra note, sea shells can deteriorate and dissolve over time in freshwater, which can raise the pH and make it difficult to maintain the tank and keep it at a stable pH level. It may also upset your amano shrimp, as they prefer more acidic water than tetras do. Tetras do best in around 6.8-7.8 pH, whereas amano shrimp prefer a much lower pH of around 6.0-7.0.

Make sure that you always check that decor for your aquarium is safe for your fish, your type of aquarium (freshwater, saltwater, e.c.t.) and that it won't leach out any harmful chemicals, dyes or minerals.

Personally, I would increase the amount of amano shrimp to a minimum of 6 and rehome the tetras. I'd also remove the shells, though I know that isn't the point of this thread.

If your pH is on the lower, more acidic end, you could possibly get rasboras. These are similar to tetras, but tend to be a little smaller and tolerate a lower pH than most tetras will.

If your pH is higher and less acidic, you could try out a different type of tetra. Rummynose tetras are my personal favourite and they stand out very well in a planted aquarium.

Hope this is helpful.
Hi thank you for all the advice, my tank has been a constant 7 pH, 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite for a over a year after the initial set up.

The white skirt tetra came from a smaller tank- I think they where in a 28litre and we put them in our 55litre. They definitely don't seem skittish and they live along minnows which they don't bother with.

The only other tank I have in the house - and I don't have the room to add a 3rd tank to re-home the tetras- is my paradise fishes cold water tank. He is the single fish in there but I worry that could be a recipe for disaster!

Hi just an update!
Thanks for your advice, I went to another fish stockist and they had larger Amano's so I have added 3 bigger ones to the group and turned my filter down abit.
That seems to have worked the 3 new additions have been walking round the tank and the tetras haven't done anything. And the smaller 2 or 3 have been coming out more since they got their new big friends!

Most reactions

Back