Amano shrimp turning milky?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ada

Reaction score
I have around 15 amano shrimp and I had them for over half a year now (could be almost a year)

Around a week or two ago I noticed that one shrimp turned milky.
What is it and what should I do?

Water parameters have not changed during this time. Dont remember the exact numbers but everyting is as its supposed to be.

I did use planaria treatment but the shrimp turned milky before that. I did not have a lot of planaria and they stayed deep in the gravel. So I dont think they caused something.
Also I did 40-50% water change after the treatment and I am planning to do another one tomorrow.
I did do big water changes before and also I was switching the gravel and each shrimp was fine so I dont think thats the problem.
I didnt have any deaths in a while apart from oto dissapearing like a month ago.

Only one turned milky and all other shrimp and fish are fine.

Attachments

• Snapchat-287233286.jpg
    Snapchat-287233286.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 621
It could be muscular necrosis or a molting problem. Have you seen any molts?
Can you test gh, kh and nitrate?
I assume your tank is cycled?

It has a Microsporidian infection.

It is contagious and regularly occurs in tanks that don't get enough water changes and disease organisms build up.

This disease is identified by the muscle turning cream/ white. The shrimp always die.

Doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate each week will help to reduce the chance of this occurring.

All new fish and shrimp should be quarantined for 4 weeks before adding them to an established tank.

-------------------------
The only way I have been able to treat this is with salt. You need to add quite a bit of salt.
Add rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt at the dose rate of 4 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in the water for 2 weeks. Then do 20% daily water changes to dilute the salt out.

The salt will not affect filter bacteria but will affect some plants. It will also stress some fish so if you have Corydoras, loaches, tetras, you should monitor them and move them into another tank if they react badly.

Most reactions

Back