Amano shrimp layed eggs, how to breed them??

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

david.molloy2009

Reaction score
Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

I have been keeping a wide range of fish in my 220ltr community tank, including snails, shrimps, neon tetras and platies.
I have noticed one of my amano shrimps has layed loads of eggs and is currently holding onto them, waiting for them to hatch (I think).
What do I need to do to ensure I get some to grow.
I understand that I need to get them to brackish water, so I have a few questions:-
If I set up a brackish tank can I transfer the egg barer into it before the lavea hatch? If not what is the best method to catch them and transfer?
How long after she has layed the eggs and is carrying them does it take for them to hatch?

Any additional help and suggestions would be greatfully accepted.
Here is a pic of her with her eggs
20220217_141948.jpg
the second picture had the flash on and doesn't really show the eggs up
20220217_141850.jpg

Amanos don't lay eggs; the female will hold onto them until the larvae hatch.

In the wild, the females migrate to brackish water before the larvae hatch; it is difficult to recreate this scenario in our aquariums, but it has been done...however, most that are available to purchase have been wild caught

See more here: https://smartaquariumguide.com/amano-shrimp-breeding/

As said above, they won't hatch in fresh water. If you really want to take the time to setup a brackish tank, you can, but it takes a lot of work to get the salinity just right.

As said above, they won't hatch in fresh water. If you really want to take the time to setup a brackish tank, you can, but it takes a lot of work to get the salinity just right.
They WILL hatch in FW, the larvae won't survive, however...one member here posted a vid of amano larvae hatching from attached eggs into his/her FW tank, but I can't remember which member it was...fun to watch...but those larvae became quick snacks for the fish in the tank

I'm going to try, see what happens. It would be great if I can do this (especially for my kids to see) nothing to lose.

My LFS sells salt water, have bought testing kit so going to mix to get the right salinity (hopefully).

I love my amano shrimps and would like more but they are so bloody expensive 😀

They WILL hatch in FW, the larvae won't survive, however...one member here posted a vid of amano larvae hatching from attached eggs into his/her FW tank, but I can't remember which member it was...fun to watch...but those larvae became quick snacks for the fish in the tank
I stand corrected, they will hatch but the fry will die shortly after. :good:

Amanos hatch to a larval form rather than miniature adults like most shrimp. One of the difficulties is feeding these larvae, so you need toe read up on that as well.

Bit of an update.

The larvae have hatched.
Transfered to brackish water tank. It's a small container 2ltrs placed within the main tank so the water temp state constant without need for additional heater.

I've read up a bit about feeding and an going for tiny bits of Brewers yeast several times a day.
I know they probably won't survive but in going to try.
This is a link to a short video of them day 5. Seems like loads of them 😀

One thing in concerned about, is how the hell do you do a water change without sucking up the larvae as they are so small? Any ideas anyone...

Bit of an update.

The larvae have hatched.
Transfered to brackish water tank. It's a small container 2ltrs placed within the main tank so the water temp state constant without need for additional heater.

I've read up a bit about feeding and an going for tiny bits of Brewers yeast several times a day.
I know they probably won't survive but in going to try.
This is a link to a short video of them day 5. Seems like loads of them 😀

One thing in concerned about, is how the hell do you do a water change without sucking up the larvae as they are so small? Any ideas anyone...
How did you get on in the end? I currently have Amano shrimps with eggs and wondered whether to give it a go to set up a tank to rear them

As I didn't have a refrector or a real set up they didn't survive. They all died within a fortnight or so.😔
Might be a silly question but what's a refrector? That's a shame that they didn't survive. My husband really wants to give it a try, he said we've got nothing to lose because the fish would eat them anyway if they stay in the tank.

"Refractor"....a device to measure the salinity of water, if I'm not mistaken

For what it is worth, I have kept amanos for years and in decent numbers. I have never nbred them, However, a woman in my fish club whom I have know since long before that used to come here and I would give her my berries amanos, She was interested in spawning and raising them. When I had a bunch berried she would come for them and return most of the prior batch along with a few of the offspring she managed to raise. She worked very hard at it was an experienced keeper and only managed to get about a 25% survival rate. Eventually she gave up. But I could not have done it and I consider what she did to be a success and to prove that a determined keeper can pull it off.

Good luck.

To keep from sucking up larvae etc. consider putting a piece of fine sponge over the intake of the siphon that goes into the tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back