Amano Shrimp Killing Fish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That must be CGI then coma! Apparently from what I've read on this thread Amano shrimp don't attack healthy fish, Plus I've heard a similar story from a very well subscribed and massively viewed young fishkeeper on Youtube "tropical & coldwater fish info"

KirkyArcher said:
That must be CGI then coma! Apparently from what I've read on this thread Amano shrimp don't attack healthy fish, Plus I've heard a similar story from a very well subscribed and massively viewed young fishkeeper on Youtube "tropical & coldwater fish info"
whhat is CGI?thx

KirkyArcher said:
Computer generated imaging ....
:)OK.I found this when tiped this to google:)I been on Chris Lukhaup show last week and he was talking about that discus fish.I did't spot any sick fish in my aquarium.I just saw it.The fish was eaten alive.I tell you that shrimp was bigger than fish.

I had amano shrimp and never had any problems with them. I'd have thought what was shown in the video was an extreme exception rather than a rule. I wouldn't let it affect anyone's decision to get amano shrimp.

I have a 15 gal. tank where I have parked a couple of bristlenose plecos. Turns out they are a couple and they spawn even though I do not want any bn fry. The tank is extremely heavily planted (les that 10% open swimming space. It also holds 5-6 amano shrimp and assassin snails.

When bn span the fewest number of fry from a ypunf pair is at least 25 fry and likely a few more. As they age, they produce more and more fry. Big ones have given  me over 100 fry.

The point is I take almost no fry out of the tank. I know the parents do not eat them. That leaves the assassins and the amanos. The assassins are neither numerous nor large enough to decimate the fry population. Plus I feed them pond snails from other tanks.

While I have not seen it, I know the amanos are consuming most of the fry. The nice invert expert I consult has assured me that amanos can and do eat fry. If you want to keep shrimp with fry, cherries are a better bet. However, given their small size, bigger fish would likely dine on them.

OK, this was an old topic (over 2 years since the last post) but still relevant, so I've created it it's own topic for discussion and put it in the new invertebrates section (which I think didn't exist in it's current format 2 years ago).

Anyway, for my 2p, amanos can be aggressive little things. I've seen them take on fish plenty bigger than themselves and a large female stand up to a smallish female apisto (the amano lost, quite spectacularly, but it did start the fight and stand up for itself and it was a repeated situation, with some damage over time to the apisto until the cichlid did what cichlids do).

Glad I came across this thread.... I've been thinking of adding amano shrimp to my baby tank... I think I won't take the risk.  Might get more cherries instead.

TwoTankAmin said:
I have a 15 gal. tank where I have parked a couple of bristlenose plecos. Turns out they are a couple and they spawn even though I do not want any bn fry. The tank is extremely heavily planted (les that 10% open swimming space. It also holds 5-6 amano shrimp and assassin snails.

When bn span the fewest number of fry from a ypunf pair is at least 25 fry and likely a few more. As they age, they produce more and more fry. Big ones have given  me over 100 fry.

The point is I take almost no fry out of the tank. I know the parents do not eat them. That leaves the assassins and the amanos. The assassins are neither numerous nor large enough to decimate the fry population. Plus I feed them pond snails from other tanks.

While I have not seen it, I know the amanos are consuming most of the fry. The nice invert expert I consult has assured me that amanos can and do eat fry. If you want to keep shrimp with fry, cherries are a better bet. However, given their small size, bigger fish would likely dine on them.

That could be said for multiple shrimp species as well though. I know ghost shrimp can and will prey on fry or smaller shrimp. But I certainly don't see them taking off with a fish :/ That was a bit creepy to watch lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back