Amano Shrimp - Help !

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hi Bloozoo,

Give your shrimp time to settle in.

Mine hid for a month and I never saw all three together for ages and they had me believe that I only had 1 alive.

But now they are out and about, they swim around, they sift through the sand and it's rare that I can never see all 3 (and I assume the times I can't is when they've just shed their skin). They even pinch the catfish food from the cories! :)

Sam

we didnt see ours for about 3 months when we got ours... then they just came out... 2x the size they were!

i think its a defensive thing - if they are small they hide ;)

have a search for 'will they be lunch' i think that was the thread name :)

Thanks everyone - that has been extremely helpful and i'm not so worried anymore - apart from the fact that they cost a bundle and seem to do nothing but chill ! (at the top of the tank between the filter inlet pipe and the heater) :lol:
Smitrc, that link was very useful too and just reflects my short experience with them.
I was just a bit surprised really, as my bamboo shrimp is always cruising around the tank and quite visible, so I was sort of expecting to see them same. Or at least see them gorging themselves on the algae.

Oh well, at least I know it's normal :D

bloozoo2. how much do they cost were u live . over here i can get 7 for £10

You're very lucky. They are £2.50 (each) here :/ and mine were tiny (but what can one do).
I'm not willing to order them by post as I think they are too fragile and death rate will be at least 50% (I think) - and especially this time of year it's way too cold.

WOW. if i had to pay £2:50 each for them i would expect them to be dancing for that kind of money

My amano shrimp hid on the filter intake tubing all the time, but that was when i had 2 Bolivian Rams in the tank and i think they were scared.

Now the rams have gone, the shrimp are out and about all day long, even my tiny cherry shrimp are out and they are really tiny.

I actually put 1 of my cherry shrimp into my tank when the rams were still in it, just to see if the rams would ignore it :no:

The poor thing lasted about 10 seconds, it got backed up into a corner, using its little feelers to fend off the ram. But it was in vain, straight down the rams throat it went. I felt guilty all day :( poor little guy.

Paul

lol yes i had to giggle at that :)

poor thing i bought 3 of these very intresting creatures... mine hid because of my large angel. put him in another tank and haypresto
there out and about.

When i first got my Anamo about a year ago they were very shy, often standing in a group together... Thats changed now though!

The biggest is nearly 2 inches long now and they aren't shy at all any more. They are active most of the time and regularly try to steal the corys food while they are eating it!

While in London I got 6 for £7 and mine have been active and interesting since adding them to the tank, I hope they're hardier than cherries.

Funny critters-but heres my experience as i have lots of them in my tanks---

When you 1st get them in the tank after purchasing them they can often do a houdini act for a week or two-hidden away-i even thought i'd lost them but after the third week they ventured out and havent looked back. They stroll around the gravel bullying the food off my mollies!
In another tank which is pretty bare they just strutt around -bit like bouncers- initailly they were a bit shy but a sniff of food soon brings em out!
And another thing- when i add fresh water they just go nuts for 5 mins when the water is being added. Nothing surprises me with these shrimps !

I had a bad experience recently with one. I was stripping the tank down and pulled a large piece of bog wood out. There must have been shrimp in the cracks of the wood as they appeared on the floor. I put one back in, and the second it hit the water it shot off out of sight, along the surface and under the lighting rig.
Later on, when I moved the lighting rig, there was the shrimp, laying on a bracing bar, all bright pink and very cooked! It must have skimmed off the surface and landed on the bar, right next to a very hot 55W T5 tube.

Sad, but I must admit I did chuckle!

WK

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back