Amano Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vanalisa

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
One of my Amano shrimp is full of eggs...is she okay? I keep her in freshwater but do I need to make saltwater for her? Will she die if she can't give bir
20200420_162923.jpg
th?

Amano shrimp are one of the hardest species of shrimp to breed in the hobby.

As previously discussed sexing them is fairly easy; however, attempting to breed them is anything but easy. They are incredibly difficult to mate and I’ve yet to hear from anyone that has successfully hatched the larvae and raised them into adults.

This is mainly due to the brackish water problem mentioned above (more on this later).

In the wild, the male will fertilize the eggs and the female will carry them for around six weeks. During this time, the female can often be seen wafting her tail to push oxygen over the eggs; similar to the Cherry Shrimp.

At the six week mark, she will release the larvae into brackish water. As larvae, they require salt water and as they mature and grow they need fresh water.

Remember adults should not be placed in brackish water; even a small exposure to salt can kill them.

It’s at this point you should remove the adults from the breeder tanks as you increase the salinity of the water.

Due to the limited success stories of breeding them, no more information could be found on breeding Amano Shrimp; this really is only an endeavor for the most experienced fish keepers.

If you are looking to breed Shrimp we would suggest you look at either Cherry or Ghost Shrimp.

Those very few success stories that we have heard of, breed these shrimp in full strength saltwater with a salinity level of around 1.024.”

Check this out: https://www.fishkeepingworld.com/amano-shrimp/

I have no personal experience with these kind of shrimp. Good luck! :good:

Did you read what I copied and pasted? Did you read the link?

It wasn't my intention to breed; it just kind of happened. I have a pair. Just took this picture of them both. I think they are posing!
15874197046655902604477667393752.jpg

Did you read what I copied and pasted? Did you read the link?
I read what you wrote, have not gotten to the link. They are happily living in the minnow tank. I'm afraid to do anything.
I don't have a salt tank set up! I would love to get fry but am ill-prepared

She won’t release the fry, even if she does, they will most likely not survive.

Cool pictures though. :good:

I saw the link, I'm just wondering if she will be okay and what, exactly, is going to happen. I really don't understand much about fish or shrimp breeding.
If she won't release the fry what will happen! Is she going to die?
She will release the unfertilized eggs into the tank. Then your shrimp or your snails will eat them. There is little chance she will die. :)

Your amano will be fine. I had amanos several years ago and the females were always carrying eggs. The longest lived female was over 5 years old when she died.
Amano eggs don't hatch to baby shrimps they hatch to planktonic larvae, and these larvae need salt water to survive. When they metamorphose into shrimp shaped amanos they move back into fresh water. According to Pheonix's link, they don't drop the eggs, they do hatch but being so tiny we never see them.
Here is another link with a section on breeding amanos, but it will take a long time to load (the page no longer exists and we have to access it via Wayback Machine) https://web.archive.org/web/20180616004607/http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano Shrimp.html

Most reactions

Back