FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

fisharecool789

Reaction score
hey everyone! iā€™m really new to the fish hobby (got my tank on the 13th & cycled for 2 weeks before adding 4 guppy fries), i have a 10 gallon tank, i am planning on doing medium levels of planting (a few of the plants that look like grass and a bunch of bushels of guppy grass & maybe a few other leafy plants). tomorrow i am going to the pet store to get more fish, fish food, & plants. iā€™m planning on getting 2-3 either mollys or barbs or similar small fish and eventually getting a betta(after the community settles). iā€™m wondering if i am stocking my tank too heavy and if i can get bottom feeders. if i can, what would be the best bottom feeders? i might get a few snails or ghost shrimp but iā€™ve heard bettas eat the shrimp sometimes and attack snails. wondering if the tank set up is ok, and how often i should do water changes & filter cartridge changes. thank u so much if anyone answers :)
(by the way the guppy fries are about an inch including the tail, but i have one really tiny one)

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :hi:

Do you mean you are going to put all of the fish you mentioned above, in the 10 gallon tank? :)

(Please consider voting for the July POTM contest, by clicking the banner at the top of your screen, Thanks!) :) :thanks:

It's mainly that most of the fish you suggest are not suitable for 10 gallons.

Mollies are big fish which need a much bigger tank.
Barbs are active fish which need a lot more swimming space

A betta is best kept alone. (In fact a 10 gallon tank is perfect for a betta and perhaps a snail)

Since you already have guppy fry, keep just them in there. They will grow up and if you have at least one male and one female you'll soon have a tank full of guppies.

i already have 4 guppies in my tank, theyā€™ve been in for a few days and they seem to be great, very active. iā€™m going to get more fish tomorrow and am wondering if adding 2-3 more small-ish fish and (in about a week) a betta is overstocking. thank u for the reply, will make sure to vote :3 !

It's mainly that most of the fish you suggest are not suitable for 10 gallons.

Mollies are big fish which need a much bigger tank.
Barbs are active fish which need a lot more swimming space

A betta is best kept alone. (In fact a 10 gallon tank is perfect for a betta and perhaps a snail)

Since you already have guppy fry, keep just them in there. They will grow up and if you have at least one male and one female you'll soon have a tank full of guppies.
ok awesome !thank u for the suggestion! will keep a closer eye on my guppies then, hopefully they will grow up ok : ) no more fish for me then

but i am still wondering if i can put a betta in since i got a fishtank because i thought bettas were so cool ! and got a few guppies to see whether my water can keep life or not even though the test strips results were all in the habitable range.

The betta fish might eat the bay guppies, so that might not be a wise choice. :)

Me personally would probably not get over 5 fish for a 10 gallon high a ten gallon sideways may be able to have 8 pushing the limits a little good luck my new fish killed half the population of my tank few days ago so maybe quarantine the new fish for a week or 2 before adding them plz don't make the same mistake as me:(

but i am still wondering if i can put a betta in since i got a fishtank because i thought bettas were so cool ! and got a few guppies to see whether my water can keep life or not even though the test strips results were all in the habitable range.

Male bettas are not community fish. It deserves its own space, but it cannot share that space with guppies or anything else. Bettas are notorious for disliking colourful fish like guppies (males), and in reverse the guppies frequently find nipping the betta's fins fun. For every aquarist who alleges a Betta works in a community tank, there are several with the opposite experience. Don't risk fish.

And, welcome to TFF. :hi:

Male bettas are not community fish. It deserves its own space, but it cannot share that space with guppies or anything else. Bettas are notorious for disliking colourful fish like guppies (males), and in reverse the guppies frequently find nipping the betta's fins fun. For every aquarist who alleges a Betta works in a community tank, there are several with the opposite experience. Don't risk fish.

thank u for the welcome, iā€™ve seen many people have very good experiences with bettas in community tanks, and i was planning on a female betta, bc even tho their fins donā€™t look a big and pretty iā€™ve heard from some of my friends who keep fish that females tend to be less aggressive and get along with other fish better. however, i will of course be very cautious about adding it to a community tank and keep a watchful eye on any signs of aggression coming from either one of the fish.

Bettas are a trick to work in a community, i tried a Female in my 55 and it took a chunk out of a guppies tail. the only other tank i had at the time was a 10g with my male... he always seem chill so i bagged and floated him in the 55 andput female in 10gal... The male didnt show aggression in the bag to the other fish that checked him out, so i put him in. He flared once at the angel fish and hasnt flared at anything that ive noticed since. Also no nip fins have shown up...I now have 6 bettas and he is the only one I would say is community safe...and my guess is because of the size of the aquarium...I got lucky cause angels and bettas are known to be territorial. If u want male bettas in a community the larger the tank the better with tons of plants/deco to break up line of sight...*DISCLAIMER*- Bettas are known for their aggression, try it at your own risk, and if you do be ready with a net to pull him out.- That being said i wouldnt even attempt it in a 10gal..... bottom dweller-wise mystery snails are a treat and theyll help keep the tank clean.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back