FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

joliee

Reaction score
Hi I'm kind of new to this so bear with me haha.

So I was thinking of getting a 10 gallon tank and putting 5 scissortail rasboras (I heard they were schooling fish and that I needed to get at least 5), 2 cory catfish (again, I heard they liked to be with each other), 1 dwarf gourami, and 1 mystery snail. What do you guys think? Is it too much? Also, if I were to do this, in what order should I get the fish (I heard if you get them all at once it overwhelms the filter).

Thanks! c:

Way overstocked for a 10. Scissortail rasboras need at least a 55-gallon aquarium, IMO. Corydoras need a minimum group of at least 6 and most can't be in a 10-gallon long-term. Not only that, but you need to know your GH before you could add certain fish in.

Hi, assuming you do not already have the tank, a 20 gallon long would be much better for stocking as well as being more forgiving with water quality to begin with.
scissortails do need at least 5, but 6-8 is better. They also are active swimmers and need more length, which is why I suggested the 20L. Cories are the same, they need at least 6.
In a 20gL I would do
8 cories
10 rasboras
1 dwarf gourami
And 1 mystery snail

Keep in mind that cories need sand instead of gravel :) cories are filter feeders, meaning they suck in sand, filter food out of it, and expel it through their gills.

Are you aware of the nitrogen cycle? Of you cycle the tank well you can safely add all of the fish

Look on your water provider's website for hardness - you need a number rather than some vague words, and also the unit of measurement as there are several they could use.
Some fish need to be kept in soft water (all the fish you mentioned are soft water fish) while others need to be kept in hard water. There are fish suitable for 10 gallon tanks, but we can't suggest which ones until we know how hard your water is.

But not scissortail rasboras as they need a 4 ft tank. Other rasbora species are suitable for 20 gallons, though - provided you have soft water.
I agree. Other rasboras that can comfortably house in a 20L would be harlequins, pork chops, chili, strawberry, and blue axelrodi.

Welcome to TFF. :hi:

As you seem to be in the planning stage, I'll just explain what is meant when we say this and that fish is a shoaling (some use the term schooling which is technically not the same, but this is usually what they mean) species. All tetras, rasboras, danios, barbs, cory catfish, loaches, and some others are shoaling fish. They live in large groups so in an aquarium we need to be able to have a group of the species. So when considering a species for "x" tank, we need to keep in mind that there will be several of the species and depending uppon their activity level, more space may be needed.

Other members have mentioned water parameters, especially GH and pH, and we need to know those for your source (tap) water. Some fish need moderately hard water, some need soft, some are OK somewhere in the middle.

So what would be recommended for a 10 gallon?

We cannot offer suggestions until we know your water parameters (see post #4 above). A 10g is quite a small space so the fish suited would be what are termed nano fish, that attain less than about one inch. Most of these will be wild caught, which means they have less adaptability to water parameters, something that also applies to small fish generally. We wouldn't want to suggest fish "x" and then find out you won't be able to keep them in your water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back