April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
20220825_162935.jpg20220825_163004.jpg

Now I'm not saying that this isn't a high quality food. And technically, some of it is plant based. But this seems a little light on the"veggie" part given the name.

One of the reasons my fish get actual (fresh or frozen) veggies offered once a week, at least....steam some for myself, skewer the unusual bits for the fish

It's loaded with wheat too. I wouldn't use it.

Any fish food that has grains in the top 5 ingredients is not fish food. They add grains like wheat to bulk up the food and bind it together. The fact the second ingredient is wheat, says they are making a loaf of bread for fish, who never evolved to eat or digest grains.

Others can say what they want about Amazon fishes eating grains, but wheat is not native to the Amazon.

It could also be high in meat and protein in the form that's safe for our veggie-based fish, because feeding like bloodworms to cichlids can bloat them, maybe it's a nutritious food for the low-protein-based fish, still giving them their essentials. But I've never used this food before, so I don't know for sure. Just my thoughts :)

It could also be high in meat and protein in the form that's safe for our veggie-based fish, because feeding like bloodworms to cichlids can bloat them, maybe it's a nutritious food for the low-protein-based fish, still giving them their essentials. But I've never used this food before, so I don't know for sure. Just my thoughts :)
Welcome back Lazarus haven’t seen you on in awhile :)

Omega One usually has a reputation for high quality foods as well, so this surprises me - especially the second main ingredient being wheat flour! I'd heard good things about their algae wafers for otos, and their cory foods, and the only reason I haven't bought those myself are due to them being incredibly expensive to get in the UK. So I would have likely trusted the brand name just from hearing those things alone, until now.

ETA: Clarification.

Looking at that shopping list of ingredients....I have a question (maybe silly but who knows til it gets asked)

Seeing how many times people come onsite asking for help with bloated fish, and with gluten being a part of the food example given......how sure can any fishkeeper be that their fish are not simply gluten intolerant and not suffering any of the usual (and often fatal) conditions associated with bloat?

It’s surprising how much grain is in ’fish food’. I just checked my Hikari Cichlid high protein pellets and although the first ingredient is fish meal, the next five are grains. The tetra min flakes seem to have more actual seafood and the protein content is higher at 46%! (32% for the ‘high protein pellets’)

The bug bites are a bit better but still have wheat.

I used to make my own fish food, I should start doing it again. I would finely chop, then blend squid (any raw fish would work, that’s just what I had on hand), raw spinach, maybe a little carrot, and add a little sodium ascorbate for vitamin c. I also added some raw egg. Then freeze into a very flat baggie and break off small pieces when feeding and allow to thaw in some water first for a minute or two. The fish absolutely loved it. But nose plugs are almost necessary when blending it up 🤢

Last edited:
It’s surprising how much grain is in ’fish food’. I just checked my Hikari Cichlid high protein pellets and although the first ingredient is fish meal, the next five are grains.
Fish meal can often be made from scales, bones, skulls and organs, the things people don't eat.

Whole fish or whole shrimp is better than fish meal or shrimp meal.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back