Am I Feeding Too Much?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dixaisy930

I'm trying really hard to act normal
Reaction score
I usually feed my fish two to three times a day. Usually they get flakes one time, and then frozen or live brine shrimp again (somedays they'll get dried tubifex worms too). I usually just give them enough to eat within the first 2-3 minutes. I have three cories (one isn't quite full grown), four platies (one pregnant, I think), a dwarf puffer, and two ghost shrimp.

Sounds fine the only thing i would watch for is that enough food gets to the bottom for the corys,platys can be quite greedy so i would add some small catfish pellets to your evening feed.

My silly cories...I bought some for them, but they wanted nothing to do with them. The platys tried to eat them though. :lol: I usually put a chunk of dried tubifex worms in the slinky I have in the tank and the cories eat the majority of that. :)

It sounds as though there might be a tad too much food going in there especially if you're feeding them like that every day. (I have nearly 200 assorted fish-and I don't feed them as much as that) Fish should go hungry, because naturally they would forage for food and may have some "lean" times. To stuff a fish full can actually rupture their liver and cause swin bladder complications. Have you tested the water parameters lately? Have you checked the gravel for food sediments.(uneaten food flakes and worms etc) All these can be unseen ecomposing in your tank and causing build up of ammonia, nitrites and just make the tank smell unpleasent. When you open the top, you shouldn't be able to smell anything but the generalisation of the tank. Non -descript smell. If it smells unpleasant then you need to remedy the cause-fast!

I just tested my water this morning and everything was fine. I vaccume the gravel atleast once a week, usually two or three, and there's no smell.

Vacuming your tank more than once a week isn't really recomended as a lot of the vital bacteria lives in it and excessive cleaning removes them,as long as you only feed what is completely gone in a couple of minutes you shouldn't have any problems.

Go figure...it's amazing I haven't killed off any fish yet with all the mistakes I'm making. -_-

its ok i was feeding my fish so much they use to die but now i have 9 fish healthy and happy :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back