Am I Doing It Right?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Crossfire

Cogito Ergo Sum
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the yeast/sugar DIY method for my twenty gallon, but I'm a little nervous and paranoid to if I'm actually doing it right. I am using one 2l bottle for gas generation, and another 2l bottle for gas refinement. The tube then leads to a bubble counter, then to a glass diffuser. I am following this guideline
http://freshwater-aquarium-passion.blogspot.com/2010/07/do-it-yourself-carbon-dioxide-injection.html

I've just seen a lot of different methods and I'm just paranoid I'm doing it wrong....Can anyone guide me? And, mayhaps, suggest a good bubble counter and glass diffuser? Thanks a lot :good:

Have a look at this thread. Has a diagram and explains why its a good way to do it.

Have a look at this thread. Has a diagram and explains why its a good way to do it.

Thanks it cleared some things up, but I have a 20 gallon I thought two 2l bottles is too much? If I only have 1, how will I keep the level stable to prevent algae?

That's why 2 are good as you stagger the filling up by 3 days and make a mix that lasts a week and change them both weekly on the same day you filled each one up, this way the level stays as uniform as possible and you make a mix that doesn't release too much and lasts a while to prevent gassing your fish. The non return valves are good too as it keeps pressure up even when you take off a bottle to change a mix. You can also experiment with mixes first to see which sugar/yeast ratio works best for you and lasts a full week. That way as one trails off and needs replacing you still have the other in full swing.

Oh, ok. So what sugar/yeast ratio would you recommend for each bottle for a 20 gallon? Because the recipe in the link is supposed to give one bubble per second, so two bottles of that I figured would be overkill.

And can you recommend a good bubble counter and glass diffuser? :good: Having trouble finding a good one

Try out some experimental mixes to see what works best for you, there is an old thread in here somewhere with the details on.

Here it is, much more in depth. http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/341090-the-yeast-co2-method/

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back