Am I Crazy?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bassbonediva

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I volunteered last night to play a piano solo for our community Christmas performance (the churches in my town get together every Christmas and put on a choir/instrumental performance for the community). They're letting me pick the song and the one I picked is a daunting challenge. It's "I Saw Three Ships," as arranged by Jon Schmidt. I don't know how to link to the MP3 of it (or even if I can), so you guys can hear it, but if you go to jonschmidt.com and click on the Home tab (on the upper nav bar) and choose "Free Music," you can listen to a free MP3 of it.

Any tips on how to practice it? I've sight-read through it twice already and know pretty much how it goes. I have until December 12 to learn it (don't have to memorize it, but it needs to be performable). I've played piano since I was 8 (and I'll be 28 in sixteen more days!), but I haven't played a solo or had to practice for a performance in YEARS (not since college back in 2001 or so). Thoughts are greatly appreciated!

no i don't think you are good on you
for taking on the challenge hope all go's well :good:

If you have sheet music, make a copy. As you play through, make notes on the copy showing you bits you're struggling with or made a mistake in.
Now you have a list of bars to practice. Slow them down and get them right, then start bringing them back up to the speed of the piece.

But yeah, taking things one section at a time is a good idea.

Have fun with it too!

No worries there. I printed it off the internet, so I can make all the marks I want and just reprint a clean copy if I want/need to. :) One of my friend's moms used to be a piano teacher and she listened to me play it the other day. She basically said I just need to slow it down until I can play the middle section evenly and I'll be good. I've got all the notes and rhythms and such. The song isn't *too* hard, it's just supposed to be played INSANELY fast! lol It's in 6/8 time and a dotted quarter note is supposed to equal 120-135. Eep!

Yeah just start slow and speed it up then.
I'm not going to pretend to know more than a piano teacher, so if you've got someone like that around, make good use of their knowledge!

She's about at the same level I am. lol She's just been teaching longer than I have (I give lessons to beginning to intermediate students...have six so far! :D ).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back