Am i correct that this is male platty?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I am a Newby

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i have just 2 plattys in tank and this one lately started chaseing other one. he doesnt seem to nip at him - other is male but smaller he just chases him arround tank all the time.
Am i correct this is male as i can see anal fin so i think male?

the red platy is a male and is being bullied
So it is male then tnx just wanted to make sure. He is the bully he is chasing other smaller male arround but bever nips him just chases him constantly im thinking that its food dominance or something since they benn together for 3 months now and no issues. Now i think on your advice i started feeding less to reduce shrimp population and i lovered the temp to 23c he is being agressive but only to other platty never to tertas.

Just weird other male is long and thin compared to this one he seems to grow realy slow and they were same size when i got them he eats ok and is super friendly no fear at all he actualy swims in net on his own to be moved or lets me hand feed him and this bully is shy and scared always hideing unless he is chaseing other one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pictures of the other fish and maybe a 1 minute video showing them chasing?

Platies normally live in groups of males or females and there is a dominant fish with a group of mates that hang out together. The group bully and pick on other fish to keep them lower down the pecking order. You have 2 male fish that don't get along. Ideally, you want to separate them.

If the other fish is longer and more slender than the red platy, it could be a swordtail or a cross between a swordtail and platy. The same thing occurs when swords and platies are kept together, the dominant fish bullies the weaker fish.

Colin is correct. It's a male. And yes, they can have a pecking order. If they bully because of that, then the bullying is temporarily. If the other male is more slender, it could be that he's got a health problem. But it could also be a variatus platy which has got a slender bodyshape as well. Or what Colin has already mentioned as well, a swordtail or a cross between those two. A picture of that slender male would be more helpful to give a proper answer.

Here u can see other male is not as thick as bigger one they were same size when bought 3 months ago. but looks to be ok today i been watching them and noticed that smaller one is actualy instigator when other comes close he strarts to run in circles and other chases him and then he hides for 2 min and comes again swims to biger one and runs away. Then eventualy bigger one starts chaseing him but doesnt bite hit or anything just chase from time to time i dont know looks like they haveing fun to be honest. When in feed they get along and smaller one gets more food as he is fast litle guy. And body shape is difrent but doesnt look like ksifo. Today they been hanging together al day as before maybe 3 chases all day long.

They are both platies but one is fatter than the other.

The smaller one appears to either have a small filament on the bottom of the tail or damage to the tail. Is the tail damaged or normal shaped?

Just checked i cant see any damage to tail at all.
Weird how one got so big and fat and other stayed small when smaller one is heavy eater i will say that he gets 40% more food then biger one.
Smaller one is super firendly doe he eats from hand goes in net if i put it in has no fear when i do water change or rescape he is all over my hand funny litle guy.
Tnx for help mate so im guessing let them be and monitor to see if he gets bullied i will have to seperate them i guess.

the smaller one might have worms and the bigger one doesn't.
You think that is reason he is slow to grow since u posted i recorded time lapse of tank just lookeing for any symptoms and he seems to be ok.
Read a bit online aboy symtops and so far didnt se any dislcoloration, no worms visible from anus, not bloated , swiming and active all seems ok.

Both males are the same kind of platies. To be honest, the smaller one doesn't look bad at all. Not every specimen of the same age will grow up the same size. That's quite normal. The smaller one doesn't even look skinny. I don't think the smaller one might have worms. It's even normal that the bigger ones will become also more sturdy in body build. I wouldn't be worried about those two...

Fish can have worms and not show any symptoms. The fish might only have a few worms in its intestine and they are taking just enough nutrients to slow the fish's growth a bit. Gill flukes can also do it.

I just treat all livebearers from Asia for intestinal worms and gill flukes as soon as I get them because they just about always have them.

Tnx for help i will let them chill no agression today at all. I just trow some brocolli for shrimp and snail and they nimbling on it playing with it seems happy to me, curious and chill today.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back