Am I Changing The Water Too Frequently

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

makaveli144

Reaction score
Hello all

I have a 15 Gallon tank housing one dwarf puffer fish, two otocinclus catfish and two crystal shrimp. The tank is very heavily planted and the plants are thriving. I change at least 25% of the water weekly, my question is is this too often? I am running a fluval filter that filters the tank through 12 times an hour.

I am thinking the water is too clean to promote algae growth and although I feed the otos cucumber I am a bit concerned there is no algae for them to eat, The same for the shrimp.

What do you all think?

It's much more likely the heavy plant growth is preventing algae by using up the nutrients algae needs to thrive. Few tanks are ever too clean for some type of algae to grow, but higher order plants will stop it. Most people would envy your situation! No, I don't think your water change schedule is too much, obviously you have a very well balanced tank. The presence of the live plants should provide the shrimp with all the micro organisms and food they need, and two little otos will generally find enough tiny soft new algae growth anywhere it trys to appear- probably another reason you have zero. Plus you are supplementing.
You are fine so stop bragging and post a picture of what sounds like a lovely tank!

Like the reply.
I'm pulling my hair out trying to get my tank that clean

I think the crystal shrimps might be in danger though. well thats me. 

It is actually a perfect tank

I've heard of people growing algae on rocks by placing the rocks in a container filled with water near a window with lots of sunlight. Never tried it myself though!
Your ottos will feed off the biofilm on the glass of your tank and plants. That's why ottos should only be introduced to tanks that have been matured for at least 6 months.
You can supplement with algae wafers and blanched veggies. :)

Could you tell me what lighting you have for your tank?

Its excess light, not neutrients, that causes agressive Algae growth!
As, i presume, rms i getting at.

and NO you can't change the water too often.

raptorrex said:
Actually, it's both. Without nutrients algae cannot grow which is why a tank with a heavy population of fast growing plants rarely has algae regardless of the amount of light it receives.

SarahR said:
Actually, it's both. Without nutrients algae cannot grow which is why a tank with a heavy population of fast growing plants rarely has algae regardless of the amount of light it receives.
Yes I was curious as my tank is a very similar size and knowing how much light goes some way in sorting out the algae issue.
Id likely be on my way knowing the lighting used and some phosphate remover...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back