Alternanthera Reineckii

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boxa

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Had a Rosefolia sitting in the corner of my tank, just taken it out because it came on hooked floated up and it didn't look too clever, is it worth cleaning up and keeping?

full name; Alternanthera reineckii ''roseafolia''

Common Name: Magenta Water Hedge

Only if you have good lighting, CO2 infusion and regular fert dosing regime. Alternanthera are quite demanding plants to grow, and if not given the conditions they like will rot away to nothing pretty quickly.

Given good lighting, CO2 and ferts however they make very beautiful mid to background plants and in my opinion are well worth the effort.

Ade

Only if you have good lighting, CO2 infusion and regular fert dosing regime. Alternanthera are quite demanding plants to grow, and if not given the conditions they like will rot away to nothing pretty quickly.

Given good lighting, CO2 and ferts however they make very beautiful mid to background plants and in my opinion are well worth the effort.

Ade

Not necessarily. I've grown A. reineckii very well without CO2 and ferts. Good lighting is required, but what constitutes "good" is open. I used T5 lights at 1.4WPG for a 20g, and Compact Fluorescents at 3WPG in an 8g. But these are better lights than your standard output T8s, and you don't need as high a WPG. One tank had CO2 injection, the other did not, and I noticed no difference in growth, so I removed the CO2 in the other and noticed no difference then, either. A. reineckii can get a little twitchy with Flourish Excel, however. At least it didn't like me adding that chemical in my tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back