Alternanthera Reineckii Rosanervig

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about this plant? Is it difficult to grow? Invasive, Can it grow in gravel, Co2, etc.

"Rosanervig" is a cultivar of the stem plant Alternanthera reineckii.

Light is especially critical as this is a red-leaf plant (pink for this cultivar perhaps, but close enough). The red colour is due to the plant reflecting red light (green plants are green because they reflect green light). Red and blue is essential for photosynthesis, and of the two red is the more important. So, as the plant is reflecting so much red light, it needs even more in the light source. This is where most LED would fail, which I mention just in case your tank lighting is LED.

I can't seem to track down info as to who named this cultivar. I usually try to find this data as it can give you good info on cultivation. Maybe it's a secret!

"Rosanervig" is a cultivar of the stem plant Alternanthera reineckii.

Light is especially critical as this is a red-leaf plant (pink for this cultivar perhaps, but close enough). The red colour is due to the plant reflecting red light (green plants are green because they reflect green light). Red and blue is essential for photosynthesis, and of the two red is the more important. So, as the plant is reflecting so much red light, it needs even more in the light source. This is where most LED would fail, which I mention just in case your tank lighting is LED.

I can't seem to track down info as to who named this cultivar. I usually try to find this data as it can give you good info on cultivation. Maybe it's a secret!
Thanks for the info. I do have LED and was concerned about that.

It's a marsh plant that does well in a garden pot sitting in a couple of inches of water. If you put it in an aquarium and give it good light, it might grow up and out of the water and it does well like that. But if kept permanently underwater, it usually rots. I had one in a 4x2x2ft tank and it grew out of the tank and had about 2 feet of stem and leaves above water and stems and roots underwater.

I used and iron based aquarium plant fertiliser (Sera Florena) and had lots of light (6 x 36watt fluorescent globes above the tank). Lights were on for about 14 hours a day.

I did not use CO2.

It's a marsh plant that does well in a garden pot sitting in a couple of inches of water. If you put it in an aquarium and give it good light, it might grow up and out of the water and it does well like that. But if kept permanently underwater, it usually rots. I had one in a 4x2x2ft tank and it grew out of the tank and had about 2 feet of stem and leaves above water and stems and roots underwater.

I used and iron based aquarium plant fertiliser (Sera Florena) and had lots of light (6 x 36watt fluorescent globes above the tank). Lights were on for about 14 hours a day.

I did not use CO2.
Thanks so much!

I bought tissue culture plants in the fall..and although much disintgrated from various ways.(light,rooting fish) one stem grew very well and it now can be seen fronting my Java stick photos. No Co2,lots of light, careful on too much nutrients,it's not so fast that leaves can outrun algae. But,the undersides are as vivid a purple as any Co2 grown plant. What I don't really see? Is that variegation the plant is famous for. It could be I just didn't get the best of its kind. That happens.

I tried it and it melted and all I had left was the stems. My mistake was I put it in my tetra tank where I have lots of shade for the tetras.

Its a light lover. Not so much Vike that algae gets ahead of it. A balance as usual. Try it again. Its on my "Stans list of colorful plants and NO Co2 list". Ammania,Super Red Rotala,Tiger Lotus,golden Neseaa are on that list so far. Rotala macrandra turns a nice Orange,needs heavy feeding to maintain.

I had this plant a while ago, its a popular buy on dustins planted tanks, if familiar. It grew out of the water at the back of my tank which was kind of cool. At the time i had CO2 and high lught. Its also messy as it sheds alot of lower leaves, i think at the time i was using fluorite as substrate. It was ok ive never used it since. As far as red plants go its a bit easier to grow than some other red plants ive tried

There's the dwarf version. I don't think anybody has said how tall the Rosanervig gets eventually. Right now,new shoots from the bottom are giving it a full look. I'm not sure if I even even want to prune it. If it reaches 12"? I can live with that.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back