Alright.. What Else Can I Put In This Tank? F8 + Bumblebee Goby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

simonero

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My flounder has been missing for a very long time and I have a very strong feeling he was slowly poisoned by nitrite during cycling.  =(  If possible, I'd like to put something else in my tank to "replace" him.

I currently have a 10gal in the very early stages of brackish transition.  It's going to be a low-end brackish tank.  I have one very tiny bumblebee goby and a F8 puffer.  Yes, I know eventually he will outgrow the tank.

Is there anything else I can get that the F8 won't assuredly destroy?  What are my options?

I was thinking about getting another small bumbleebee or two, but my LFS hasn't had any in a while.  That makes sense though, right?

Another fish I was curious about was a little orange chromide.  I got the impression their diet was a little different than the 2 I have so that's ideal, but I really don't know much about them.  Also, at my LFS someone pointed out something "eel-like" in shape (long and thin.. otherwise may have been entirely unrelated)  but they were out today so I couldn't ask about it.

I also wouldn't mind putting something in there that isn't a fish, but I know that the F8 will demolish all snails immediately.  What about shrimp?  Are they doomed as well?

Any other suggestions I haven't thought of are appreciated as well.  

Figure 8s are some of the meanest fish ever, you can't keep much with them...I'm not sure, but could youmpossibly keep a dwarf puffer or two with a f8? They'd probably get eaten though..

you can keep orange chromides but just like the F8 they can be nice or mean as hell. Knight gobies are gorgeous but I fear they may consume your bubble bee gobies
A safe bet with low salinity not many people know about is horsefaced loach, awesome little buggers that clean the tank bottom and wont eat your bubble gobies.

you could also consider Celebes rainbowfish, gorgeous. You also cant go wrong with mollies, swordtails or guppies.

Noahsfish said:
Figure 8s are some of the meanest fish ever, you can't keep much with them...I'm not sure, but could youmpossibly keep a dwarf puffer or two with a f8? They'd probably get eaten though..

Mine isn't *too* bad.  I haven't owned any other F8s before, but I would say he's relatively agreeable for what he is.  He only lightly picked on my bumblebee Goby once, and that was in the first hour they met.  That said, he is still a jerk and will steal food without hesitation!

I can't get dwarfs - they are freshwater.  Thanks though!

jonny5 said:
you can keep orange chromides but just like the F8 they can be nice or mean as hell. Knight gobies are gorgeous but I fear they may consume your bubble bee gobies
A safe bet with low salinity not many people know about is horsefaced loach, awesome little Bad word removed that clean the tank bottom and wont eat your bubble gobies.

you could also consider Celebes rainbowfish, gorgeous. You also cant go wrong with mollies, swordtails or guppies.

I LOVE the loach!  Cool!  I'll have to see if they have that at my LFS, I don't think I've seen one before... that looks like it gets a little big though?  My tank is 10gal =/

Anybody else have any feelings about mixing a knight and a bumblebee?

I LOVE the loach!  Cool!  I'll have to see if they have that at my LFS, I don't think I've seen one before... that looks like it gets a little big though?  My tank is 10gal =/

Anybody else have any feelings about mixing a knight and a bumblebee?

Unfortunately the knight will eat the BBG and shrimps will also just be an expensive food item.  Your tank is undersized for the fish you have at the moment so any other fish you add will be detrimental to the water quality and will increase the chance of aggression between tank mates due to the lack of space.  I would wait until you do buy the bigger tank and add tankmates when you do the transition.

I'd just keep the puffer alone. I've had a Green Spotted for near 8 years and she's such an awesome fish to interact with.

Puffers rock!

I also wouldn't keep dwarf puffers with them. They're FW fish.

I never had one, but I'm still planning to, in the future. But from what I read, F8 may start to show aggressiveness with age, so it's never too late to end up with a mean one! That said, they are notoriously reported to do very well with BB gobies.

Horsefaced loaches DO grow quite a bit, especially the female. There's some good advice about it from Neale Monks in this same forum, when I myself considered to add one to my 150 l tank: he made me change my mind.

Cheers

Maurizio

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back