Alright - I'm redoing this poll!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

What Stocking choice to you think is best for a standard 10g?

• 15 Ember tetras

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • 7-9 chili rasboras, 8 ember tetras

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • 6 chili rasboras, 6 neon tetras, 4 ember tetras

• 6 black neon tetras, 7 chili rasboras

• 20 chili rasboras

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

BettaFishGirl

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I previously did a poll like this but a lot of people responded and it really helped me realize what I can put in my future 10g. So - what option do you like the best for my future planted 10g? My Ph is neutral, and my water is around 6dH. It will be planted, with lots of hiding spots. Note - All of these fish I did do lots of research on and I know most of these everyone says can go in a 10 gallon. For some, like the neons and black neons, it's was kind of a split opinion, some say a 10g will work, while other won't, but please do leave your opinion on other fish I could have or if a fish isn't suitable in a 10g. 😃

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

What is the GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply?
This information can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website (Water Analysis Report) or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

Yes My pH is 7, my GH is 6 dH, and my tank dimensions are 20 x 10 x 12 (length x width x height) so just standard 10 gallon.

Honestly, none of the above. Ten (amandae/ember or Bororas) microfish in total, OR 6 black neon sized fish. Those numbers in the poll seem very high to me. It looks like what people wish would thrive in a 10, but wishes aren't fishes.

I wouldn’t put fish in a 10g. It’s far too small even for ‘micro’ fish, imo.
I would also never keep just 6 of a shoaling species. It’s not enough in the fishes’ opinion, which is what matters.

If any species of shoaling/schooling fish cannot be housed with adequate numbers that will benefit the individual fish, then it does not belong in the tank. Example, "6 chili rasboras, 6 neon tetras, 4 ember tetras" and "6 black neon tetras and 7 chili rasboras" is detrimental to all these species. Each of these needs double or more. And whereas 10 black neons should do well so far as just the numbers (all else being equal, and I am not suggesting a 10g is enough space) it takes more than ten for the nano fish like dwarf rasboras and ember tetras. Nano fish have a higher metabolic rate, and they need calmer surroundings than would larger fish that are more comfortable in the environment. Numbers play into this.

According to scientific evidence, the four ember tetras will be so stressed they will likely turn aggressive to each other and other fish, they may have a latency to even eat, and the stress if continued will without question result in an early death well short of the normal expected life term. Same probability applies to the other species. And solely because of numbers.

Considered abstractly--a group of 15 Ember Tetras in a planted (floating plants) 10g will fare much better and be healthier long term than will six or seven Ember Tetra in the same tank. There is just no substitute for adequate numbers. It has nothing at all to do with the biological system, water changes, etc. The fish with six are just too stressed and eventually it takes its toll.

I had a 10g tank, soft sand substrate, plants including good floating cover, no filter, no light (W facing window), weekly 60% water change. It housed 11 Boraras brigittae, 10 Corydoras pygmaeus, several bladder snails. There were two shrimp of some sort that arrived in the bag with the cories presumably. It ran like this for a year. I cannot talk to the fish, but I would suspect from what I could observe that they were healthy. After a year, I moved it away from the window (using daylight is not as absolute as tank light for plants) and added the light and a single sponge filter for mechanical filtration. Biological was certainly not an issue, the plants did this better. Over the years following, this tank served my pygmy cories who began spawning and there were 30 of them at one point. Fish health is primarily a matter of providing what the fish consider essential in all aspects of the aquatic environment.

I do like guppies, but I don't really want fry and I am already getting guppies for someone, so I will see them a lot 🤣😃

Most reactions

trending

Back