Already looking to upgrade....

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Reaction score
Iā€™m currently running my 20 long....

It is appropriately stocked and I have some
Fish and plants in the time out tank.

I picked up a 30gal ish tank of same base dimensions, just a bit taller.

the tank itself will need some loving ie: resealing, painting & cleaning. I already have the hoses to replace the ones for my fluval to accept this taller tank. Aside from swapping out hoses, all the equipment is more than sufficient to service a 30 gal setup, in fact probably better suited than my current 20 gal.

I think the flow rate is quite a bit heavy from my filter.

anyways, cold weather is upon us and it may take a few weeks to to get the glass box to where I want it, but all Iā€™m really doing is making my current setup taller.

Im going to post pictures start to finish, so come along for the ride. Ride starts when I start stripping silicone.

Awesome you are getting a bigger tank! The 30g will provide you with a lot more stocking options than the 20g long. :)

Be careful if/when you take it outside, especially because itā€™s cold now. Cold + glass = brittle glass - you donā€™t want to be breaking your new tank!

Good luck on the siliconing - I hear itā€™s pretty simple, but takes some dedication.

why settle for just increasing the height of the current 20g? I'd say leave that tank as-is, and begin work on setting up a nice showcase tank for the living room? Something like 125-150 gallons :D

sure, it'll be a bigger project, but it'll also be the kind of project that you can work long and hard at, instead of picking up a new fish project every month :D

yes, a little tongue-in-cheek here, but depending on what the wifey says might be worth thinking about after all :D

Awesome you are getting a bigger tank! The 30g will provide you with a lot more stocking options than the 20g long. :)

Be careful if/when you take it outside, especially because itā€™s cold now. Cold + glass = brittle glass - you donā€™t want to be breaking your new tank!

Good luck on the siliconing - I hear itā€™s pretty simple, but takes some dedication.

I hear ya on the cold, Iā€™m looking at an inch of snow outside right now, this will be an indoor project for sure.

dedication is key to re-sealing an aquarium, every detail counts. Process is easy, just have to be diligent.

why settle for just increasing the height of the current 20g? I'd say leave that tank as-is, and begin work on setting up a nice showcase tank for the living room? Something like 125-150 gallons :D

sure, it'll be a bigger project, but it'll also be the kind of project that you can work long and hard at, instead of picking up a new fish project every month :D

yes, a little tongue-in-cheek here, but depending on what the wifey says might be worth thinking about after all :D

You would be kidding yourself if I you were to think I havenā€™t had the same thought, haha.

I had to sell the 55gal tank I had due to space requirements. anything bigger than that I would have to re-enforce the floors structurally, which I would have a problem doing because my mother in law lives downstairs in a finished apartment...

for now, weā€™ll settle for adding a few gallons to the current setup. In the interim, weā€™ll fantasize about the 150.... lol

Ah, yes, those pesky real-world restrictions.... Yeah we got super fortunate with this house from a fishkeeping perspective, there is an addition that was built on a concrete slab so I can put all the weight I want into that room (well maybe within some limits) and not have to worry about the basement caving in :D

Real-world restrictions suck.

especially when you have my experience in construction to know whatā€™s a bad idea.

I have a spot picked out for a huge tank on the main floor, with a beam-supported niche wall/book case directly below it. Tā€™ainā€™t gonna happen though because Iā€™m looking at well over $1000 in renovation materials.

unless I hit some money in the lotto, itā€™s just not in the budget. But when the mother in law moves out... Iā€™ve got a fish room in the making hahahaha

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back