Alot Of Co2 In Diy Setup

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

radioman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I got a 2.5 gallon tank and started a diy co2 setup I used the ingredients from the 2 litre instuctions and cut them in a little more that half for a 20 oz bottle. I have it feeding into a filter but it seems that there are alot of bubbles or they are very long bubbles. When they enter the filter it sounds like there is air in the filter which I would think would be normal if you put bubbles into a filter. I just am not sure if I am getting to much co2 into my tank and do not want to harm my fish. The co2 production started about 30 minutes after I set it up? So is this right or am I in the danger zone?

overdose of co2 using diy is theoretically impossible, I wouldn't worry unless you see gasping fish

overdose of co2 using diy is theoretically impossible, I wouldn't worry unless you see gasping fish

Sorry but I entirely disagree. CO2 is CO2, use too much mix in relation to the tank requirements and you can overdose, I've had a bright yellow drop checker (to be honest a drop checker should be mandatory if you have any concept of monitoring CO2 levels) with DIY CO2 in my 15-gallon tank. Use enhanced diffusion methods (e.g. putting it into your filter) will only aid the ability to overdose.

I'm happy to be told I am wrong, but I have no clue how it is impossible to overdose CO2 with DIY, it is entirely possible.

(Edited to clarify comment regarding drop checker colour/use)

Sorry but I entirely disagree. CO2 is CO2, use too much mix in relation to the tank requirements and you can overdose, I've had a bright yellow drop checker (to be honest a drop checker should be mandatory if you have any concept of monitoring CO2 levels) with DIY CO2 in my 15-gallon tank. Use enhanced diffusion methods (e.g. putting it into your filter) will only aid the ability to overdose.

I'm happy to be told I am wrong, but I have no clue how it is impossible to overdose CO2 with DIY, it is entirely possible.

(Edited to clarify comment regarding drop checker colour/use)

In essence you are correcy nry but in reality Garuf is right although in this case Garuf is wrong??? Confused???

To explain
NRY Correct - Yes of course you can overdose if you add too much of anything so in theory you can add lots of DIY bottles and overdose.

Garuf Correct - In reality for a normal sized tank of 20G+ then you are gonna need 3 bottles, larger tank more to even chance an overdose and who is going to do this? I used 2 nutrafins and 1 DIY on my tank before pressurised and this was linked to a Rhinox 2000 which I still use with pressurised and I struggled to maintain 30ppm with the 3 going!!!

This scenario has a 2.5G tank and therefore it would be quite easy to overdose it due to the tiny size!

I think I'll stick with my it is impossible to overdose a tank on DIY statement that I usually use because unless someone is going to be linking ridiculously large amounts of bottles to their setups then they aren't going to overdose. (Although it is of course possible)

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back