ALL you need for fertilizer is...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Iron gluconate and maybe Potassium..I have my doubts on that last. Using IG tends to cure what looked like a Potassium problem.
Here's the guru for what I say..watch this and other vids as he tells it like it is.

Interesting video, I will have to look into it further only had a planted tank for 4 months. I picked up a bottle of seachem flourish but have not used it yet. I think my fish are doing a good job "feeding" the plants so far :)

I used to think that too RV. But..some just grow out of their minds better. I think,its near Co2 results for low tech. Its fast to happen. No long wait.
Also...go for the Seachem iron,not so much the Flourish.

Last edited:
This is botanically not accurate. Aquatic plants require 17 nuitrients, and the proportion these are in is important. Iron is a micro-nutrient. In excess, it will kill some plants (it nearly wiped out my floating Ceratopteris when I increased iron, but the plant returned when I stopped); it also causes plants to cease uptake of certain other nutrients. Then there is the fish aspect.

Plants can assimilate the necessary nutrients from fish foods (through the breakdown of fish excrement and other organics) and water changes. Depending upon the plant species and numbers, this obviously may not be adequate, in which case a comprehensive supplement is better.

A comprehensive has a do little amount of IG. Have you tried Iron gluconate? It's not like other irons like ferrous in health food stores..that is so-so. Garden iron too is only fair.
The Dr. does say..decent tap water,and water changes will provide the others,I will go one further on him and say gluconate acts as a way for plants to pull out those other 17 floating around much better.
Try it.
btw He says in one about GH..you might like finding out what he thinks of it. All his videos are short.
I also would strongly endorse it for non Co2 low tech. Nothing makes as huge a difference for them as IG..and the right lights.

A comprehensive has a do little amount of IG. Have you tried Iron gluconate? It's not like other irons like ferrous in health food stores..that is so-so. Garden iron too is only fair.
The Dr. does say..decent tap water,and water changes will provide the others,I will go one further on him and say gluconate acts as a way for plants to pull out those other 17 floating around much better.
Try it.
btw He says in one about GH..you might like finding out what he thinks of it. All his videos are short.
I also would strongly endorse it for non Co2 low tech. Nothing makes as huge a difference for them as IG..and the right lights.

It was iron gluconate that killed (nearly) my Ceratopteris. Flourish Iron is iron gluconate (according to Seachem) and that is what I used. Listening to those who say iron is needed for red leaf plants, i used it in the 90g tank with my red tiger lotus. I was also using Flourish Comnprehensive Supplement. The floating Ceratopteris which has been thriving began melting; the Echinodorus began developing brown patches which is caused by an excess of iron. I had changed nothing but the iron, so I stopped the extra iron. After several weeks, the daughter plants began growing and spread across the surface as before, and the iron excess in the Echinodorus abated. I subsequently began using Flourish Tabs next to the red tiger lotus tubers and this certainly improved their appearance and growth.

Iron is a heavy metal, and these are dangerous for fish, plants and bacteria unless kept at minimal levels.

Flourish was the culprit. It has been known to take out all the Vallisneria ..melt it. Flourish is an algaecide...that I wouldn't trust with sensitive plants. Ceratopteris is a fern, Ferns of all types love iron.
I have three types of Lotus...never seen them do so well.

Flourish was the culprit. It has been known to take out all the Vallisneria ..melt it. Flourish is an algaecide...that I wouldn't trust with sensitive plants. Ceratopteris is a fern, Ferns of all types love iron.
I have three types of Lotus...never seen them do so well.

I think you actually mean Flourish Excel. it will kill Vallisneria, and if overdosed it will kill fish, plants and bacteria. It is glutaraldehyde.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a mix of all essential plant nutrients (except hydrogen, oxygen and carbon) in proportions as required by plants. It is a supplement, which is an important distinction.

I think you actually mean Flourish Excel. it will kill Vallisneria, and if overdosed it will kill fish, plants and bacteria. It is glutaraldehyde.

Flourish Comprehensive Supplement is a mix of all essential plant nutrients (except hydrogen, oxygen and carbon) in proportions as required by plants. It is a supplement, which is an important distinction.
Good, I have flourish comprehensive supplement, thanks for the info :)

Noted.
But the iron wasn't killing the plants from my view. A combo or other factors ? I don't know.

Noted.
But the iron wasn't killing the plants from my view. A combo or other factors ? I don't know.

There is no doubt in my mind it was the iron. The plants showed the symptoms of iron excess. It gradually began a couple weeks after the additional iron, it stopped a few weeks after the iron was no longer being added.

Several nutrients can cause detriment if in excess. Some plants can store certain nutrients, but this has a limit. When certain nutrients become in excess, detriment results, especially within the closed system of an aquarium. Excess iron also causes plants to shut down assimilation of manganese, another example.

I think like you said,you put TOO much. I haven't seen any problems at all. In fact after four days of none two days ago I added two full caps to the 240...and yes..a deeper shade of green again. 48hours. When I first dosed,I saw results in 4 or 5 days back in November. Obvious to me,they had been starving for iron all this time. ONLY Vallisneria grew large and deep green. I mean,Water Wisteria wasnt happening for me either. I made a bigger filter..that did help. Bacopa thrived also.
But the hydrogen peroxide sent me back to square one.

I think,I use what seems like much because its 240 gallons. Overdosing in a 30 or 40 gallon is faster and easier to make a mistake. Seachem's directions are standard seems to me or a little more. IF the plants and fish are fine? You got it down.

Byron knows his stuff like no other when it comes to plants and chemistry.

I add a half dose of flourish comprehensive and flourish trace elements with good results.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back