All snails die in my tanks

This is just one brand, there will be others

Oh cool. It's on Amazon so easy to get delivered. Thank you :)

Yes lots of growth in plants & algae too.
Humm very strange because nerite snails are adaptable. If there is no super high levels of ammonia or nitrates then it's puzzling as to why they are dying. It has to be something with the water in your location.

This is just one brand, there will be others
"According to the API web site for this copper test:
The APIĀ® COPPER TEST KIT allows you to easily and accurately monitor copper levels to maintain copper-based fish treatments at therapeutic levels, and tests copper levels from 0 to 4 ppm."

This test can only read between 0 and 4PPM. Most fertilizers on the market only supply 0.001PPM. And the EPA limit for tap water is 1.3PPM. I don't know what Ireland coppers standards are but I doubt there levels are higher than EPA limit.

I would advise you to save your money and not buy this test. The ICP-OES test I mentioned will detect copper down to 0.001 and will probably read above 1PPM. I have never seen copper levels that high but it will easily read calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous levels way above 1PPM. No standard aquarium test kit will provide you with as much information as one ICP-OES test will do.

I have used this test and I have Nerites in my aquarium. So at a minimum we could compare your tank water with the test result from my tanks.

ICP-analysis.com test kit on Amazon.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is that tester available in Ireland?
Good point. There is Trito-Lab which I believe is based in Germany. And believe they have doing this longer . Again their business is mainly focused on salt water tanks. Salt water tank testing like this is becoming increasingly popular. It is a growing buisness and there are probably a number of companies that have gotten into this business. Also The ICP OES test is widely used in industry and water utilities do use it. So there are probably many companies hat can do the test around the world. And many companies make the equipment that does it.

"According to the API web site for this copper test:
The APIĀ® COPPER TEST KIT allows you to easily and accurately monitor copper levels to maintain copper-based fish treatments at therapeutic levels, and tests copper levels from 0 to 4 ppm."

This test can only read between 0 and 4PPM. Most fertilizers on the market only supply 0.001PPM. And the EPA limit for tap water is 1.3PPM. I don't know what Ireland coppers standards are but I doubt there levels are higher than EPA limit.

I would advise you to save your money and not buy this test. The ICP-OES test I mentioned will detect copper down to 0.001 and will probably read above 1PPM. I have never seen copper levels that high but it will easily read calcium, magnesium, potassium, and phosphorous levels way above 1PPM. No standard aquarium test kit will provide you with as much information as one ICP-OES test will do.

I have used this test and I have Nerites in my aquarium. So at a minimum we could compare your tank water with the test result from my tanks.

ICP-analysis.com test kit on Amazon.

It's not on amazon.co.uk but I'll look around for it.

The Irish limit set out in the drinking water directive for Copper is 2mg/l.

The copper test kit arrived after 2 months! No high copper.

This guy's hitchhiked on a plant and seem to be doing ok. No idea what it is though. I have 3 of them.
PXL_20210304_183426016.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210304_183417358.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210304_183417358.MP.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 65
  • PXL_20210304_183419310.jpg
    PXL_20210304_183419310.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20210304_183427811.jpg
    PXL_20210304_183427811.jpg
    264.3 KB · Views: 69
  • PXL_20210304_183405445.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210304_183405445.MP.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 68
The copper test kit arrived after 2 months! No high copper.

This guy's hitchhiked on a plant and seem to be doing ok. No idea what it is though. I have 3 of them.View attachment 130582
It's a bladder snail, a type of pond snail. My favourite of the 'pest' snails! Try not to over feed the tank or the population will explode, but otherwise, helpful little clean up crew guys! I kinda miss the ones I had in my tank. Think the MTS out competed them or something.

Nice to see you back!

It's a bladder snail, a type of pond snail. My favourite of the 'pest' snails! Try not to over feed the tank or the population will explode, but otherwise, helpful little clean up crew guys! I kinda miss the ones I had in my tank. Think the MTS out competed them or something.

Nice to see you back!
I miss my MTS but he didn't likey water.

Thanks, been a crazy busy few months and the tanks were relatively quiet (except for rainbowfish mess).

Hope all's well with you & your parents. Oh and fish of course!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back