All Pond Solution - Twin Powerhead Trickle Filter Or Not ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

dazbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've just upgraded from a 100L with internal filter to a 250L All Ponds Solution tank with hood trickle filter.

I bought it cos the tank and cabinet were a good deal. I was sceptical about the wet/dry trickle filter, but willing to give it a go.

I was quite surprised on arrival. Given that its advertised as only 900L/Hr, it looked like it was going to be fairly efficient. It draws water up from the bottom of the tank, to a spray bar under the hood. The spray bar is the full length of the tank and sprays onto four compartments which are each about 7 inch square and 2 inch deep . On the top of each compartment is a layer of filter floss, then under a perferated lid is a compartment containing media. Currently two with ceramic noodles, 2 with bio balls. So the total area for filteration is quite extensive and there is a lot of oxygen getting through the media.Each compartment fills with water and then over flow drains through a directional jet into the top of the water column. The flow rate actually seems quite good and creates a current. Its amazigly quiet too.

I set up the tank 3 days ago, with the water, new gravel and (1 week pre-soaked) bogwood. Moderate planting and two airstones added today. Planning on transferring the fish from my old tank, along with their established filter media tomorrow. In the 3 days of set up, the filter floss has turned white to brown, most likely the tanning from the new wood and there are pieces of visible large debris on it, so its obviously sucking up the big stuff.

However, here is the dilema. The water is still a little cloudy, pic attached below. I don't know whether this is an indication that the filter is rubbish or is just normal for the length of time since set up. Everyone raves about cannister filters and I don't know whether I am looking for an excuse to get a canister. My other option is that All Ponds Solution do an upgrade for just £17 to a twin powerhead which would sit very snug and unobtrusively next to the existing one and draw a further 900L/hr up through a second spray bar over the trays. I'm not sure whether this combo would be just as efficient or better than a canister, or wehether my day 3 cloudiness is a sign to abandon the wet/dry trickle filter.

whats people's opinions / experience ?

Cloudiness in a new set-up is often a bacterial bloom, which happens regardless of what filter you are running.  Give it a week or so while you do a fishless cycle, and it should clear.  In my opinion, there is always an opportunity to buy a new piece of equipment.  Why not let this one work on its own and see how it does before adding more?  You can always upgrade in the future.

is it worth doing a fishless cycle when I'm transferring all of the existing filter media and majority of the decor from the old tank to the new. No new fishes will be added for several weeks

Not really... unless you are greatly increasing the bioload in a short period of time, in which case you can do a fishless cycle on the old media (which won't take long), or you can just deal with a fish-in cycle until the established media catches up to the bioload.

I've been doing a fishless cycle on a 110 gallon tank, that I seeded from my other tank (56G) and it has gone very quickly.  I was ready for fish in that tank nearly a month ago, but life being what it is sometimes, the fish are still en route...  They should be coming in the next few days, but in the meantime, I am continuing to fishless cycle the media in preparation for their arrival.

Good luck with the forthcoming stocking Eaglesaquarium. In fishless cycle, I'm guessing your dosing with raw amonia? Here in the UK we don't seem to be able to source it. I searched all the highstreet chemists and hardware stores and a few of the independant ones last year when I was setting up my 100ltr and couldn't find any. Only products that combined amonia and detergent .

Thanks, and pure ammonia (actually a 9.5% solution in water) is the easiest way, but you could also do it with fish food.   It is unnecessary in your case though, if you are moving your existing stock plus all your filter media, decor, etc.  The beneficial bacteria will come along with it.

8 months on. I had no real issues upgrading. The tank is fully stocked now, maybe over stocked with about 45 fish. Everything is good and the fish all seem happy. Did get the second powerhead afterall. Filters need rinsing weekly as they draw up an awful lot of mulch, but then I guess that the stocking.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back