All my platy fry dying the same way except one??? Is it me? Or is it the circle of life??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Also, have you wormed the adults you're breeding from?

Many, I'd go so far as to say most livebearers - bought from fish stores have been mass produced in fish farms, and are carrying worm burdens. Adults can carry worms without showing many ill effects for a long time, but the fry they produce are then exposed to the worms (even if the fry are moved, since the worm eggs can be transferred by decor/hands/water) and the fry are much less able to handle the worm load, affecting their development and increasing the mortality rate.

I would worm all your tanks if you plan to keep breeding. The water quality was your main problem here, I'm sure, but I now worm any livebearers I bring in before they go near my main tanks. Once you've battled worms, you're much more cautious! :lol:

Also, have you wormed the adults you're breeding from?

Many, I'd go so far as to say most livebearers - bought from fish stores have been mass produced in fish farms, and are carrying worm burdens. Adults can carry worms without showing many ill effects for a long time, but the fry they produce are then exposed to the worms (even if the fry are moved, since the worm eggs can be transferred by decor/hands/water) and the fry are much less able to handle the worm load, affecting their development and increasing the mortality rate.

I would worm all your tanks if you plan to keep breeding. The water quality was your main problem here, I'm sure, but I now worm any livebearers I bring in before they go near my main tanks. Once you've battled worms, you're much more cautious! :lol:
I have not! I am about to lose my last fry, so I am thinking that might be the problem. I didn't ask for babies so if they survive I will be so happy! I will look more into worming my livebearers (I have all livebearers a part from one oto).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back